Before I plasterboard this wall..

Sponsored Links
You can leave the lathes on and overboard. I've come across this a lot, but you will have to cut off the parts that overlap or the boards will sit unevenly. I prefer to remove the lathes and then board myself. I would also remove the architrave and board/skim behind it then replace or renew as necessary.

You can leave the lathes on and overboard. I've come across this a lot, but you will have to cut off the parts that overlap or the boards will sit unevenly. I prefer to remove the lathes and then board myself. I would also remove the architrave and board/skim behind it then replace or renew as necessary.

I was thinking of leaving the frame on and sliding the plasterboard down the side of it, I have about 25-30mm of gap behind it. Would that work ok?

It would work I suppose, but you'll end up with a pretty large gap for caulking if you just skim a single board. I'd prefer to remove architrave and then feather the board out with bonding just below level with the door casing as a single layer of 12.5mm board is not going to be as thick as the original plaster you've removed. You can do it your way, but it's just easier to get the trowel in with the architrave out of the way.

Sponsored Links
It would work I suppose, but you'll end up with a pretty large gap for caulking if you just skim a single board. I'd prefer to remove architrave and then feather the board out with bonding just below level with the door casing as a single layer of 12.5mm board is not going to be as thick as the original plaster you've removed. You can do it your way, but it's just easier to get the trowel in with the architrave out of the way.

the gap between the frame and the batoning on the wall is 22mm, if I remove the baton it should be around 25mm, so I was thinking of doing 2 layers of plasterboard?

Its a ladder, lol.

Very suprised you went to the effort of removing all the plaster and left the lathes intact, I usually just get a wrecking bar in there and be done with it.

Those lathes look in pretty good nick considering, thought you'd have ripped half them down when taking the old plaster off the wall. I normally remove the old lathes if I'm boarding up.

Its a ladder, lol.

Very suprised you went to the effort of removing all the plaster and left the lathes intact, I usually just get a wrecking bar in there and be done with it.

No, they are stairs, in pic 2, they go up to a converted loft room. And yes they are quite steep!!

The old "plaster" had that dodgy dirt stuff in it, I ripped it off firstly thinking that I would be re-plastering the wall but had a change of mind.

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

Those are two pictures for the "archives" I have always been one of the people who have "gone at it with a crow-bar " type , and re- boarded. But them pictures show you how hard and time consuming plastering used to be. It was the apprentice's job to lath out and the joints in between were governed by a finger put in to gap them. I suppose theoretically you could lay bonding over the lath's and skim it!!! ;)

trowelmonkey
are you serious about skimm over the wood?

You'll get a far superior, stronger wall/ceiling, by plastering back onto the wooden lath, than you'll ever get by using plasterboard, but there's a lot of work involved,, and some are willing to pay the extra for it. Here's a similar post from nearly 2 years ago.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=795490#795490

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back