Before I plasterboard this wall..

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can leave the lathes on and overboard. I've come across this a lot, but you will have to cut off the parts that overlap or the boards will sit unevenly. I prefer to remove the lathes and then board myself. I would also remove the architrave and board/skim behind it then replace or renew as necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can leave the lathes on and overboard. I've come across this a lot, but you will have to cut off the parts that overlap or the boards will sit unevenly. I prefer to remove the lathes and then board myself. I would also remove the architrave and board/skim behind it then replace or renew as necessary.

I was thinking of leaving the frame on and sliding the plasterboard down the side of it, I have about 25-30mm of gap behind it. Would that work ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would work I suppose, but you'll end up with a pretty large gap for caulking if you just skim a single board. I'd prefer to remove architrave and then feather the board out with bonding just below level with the door casing as a single layer of 12.5mm board is not going to be as thick as the original plaster you've removed. You can do it your way, but it's just easier to get the trowel in with the architrave out of the way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would work I suppose, but you'll end up with a pretty large gap for caulking if you just skim a single board. I'd prefer to remove architrave and then feather the board out with bonding just below level with the door casing as a single layer of 12.5mm board is not going to be as thick as the original plaster you've removed. You can do it your way, but it's just easier to get the trowel in with the architrave out of the way.

the gap between the frame and the batoning on the wall is 22mm, if I remove the baton it should be around 25mm, so I was thinking of doing 2 layers of plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a ladder, lol.

Very suprised you went to the effort of removing all the plaster and left the lathes intact, I usually just get a wrecking bar in there and be done with it.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those lathes look in pretty good nick considering, thought you'd have ripped half them down when taking the old plaster off the wall. I normally remove the old lathes if I'm boarding up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a ladder, lol.

Very suprised you went to the effort of removing all the plaster and left the lathes intact, I usually just get a wrecking bar in there and be done with it.

No, they are stairs, in pic 2, they go up to a converted loft room. And yes they are quite steep!!

The old "plaster" had that dodgy dirt stuff in it, I ripped it off firstly thinking that I would be re-plastering the wall but had a change of mind.

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those are two pictures for the "archives" I have always been one of the people who have "gone at it with a crow-bar " type , and re- boarded. But them pictures show you how hard and time consuming plastering used to be. It was the apprentice's job to lath out and the joints in between were governed by a finger put in to gap them. I suppose theoretically you could lay bonding over the lath's and skim it!!! ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links