Before the white paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For years now I've worked almost totally in restoration and on heritge buildings and have come across many "traditional" products.
One of these products has been linseed oil paints. Whilist I'm not a decorator by trade, actually a joiner, I've had the chance to witness and use different paints over the years. Now I've seen white linseed oil paint put on and it has started to yellow within a week.
With the preponderance of threads on here recently about yellowing of white glosses is it perhaps that in the past few decades we have been not exactly brainwashed but at least lead to believe that the "brilliant white gloss" finish is how things should be?
How did our ancestors cope with the changing of colour, did they moan about it or just accept it as mellowing?
There seem to be pros and cons with the linseed paints, they yellow, take an age to dry , are very expensive and don't have a very high sheen although to me the last one is fine as I always think a high gloss looks a bit cheap compared to say an eggshell finish. On the plus side the paint fumes are harmless indeed almost pleasent and the paint is said to have a long life span.
I came across this website which does say about recoating every 15 years but not with paint, just simply a coat of linseed oil. Can't help thinking a paint that has been yellowing for 15 years having a coat of oil put on top is going to look very yellow afterwards. Perhaps it's just a case of loving yellow :D

http://www.linseedpaintcompany.co.uk/

http://www.holkhamlinseedpaints.co.uk/index.php?id=9

Sponsored Links
If you work in restoration you should know that in the 'old days' they used 'white lead' and 'zinc White.' Then we introduced 'titanium oxide' and it all changed.

I thought white lead went grey by reacting to air pollution fromn coal fires?

Sponsored Links
Yes I'm aware of lead based paints and have seen them applied even quite recently, the tins almost felt like they were full of lead :LOL: . Never really found it to yellow though which seems to be the bane of peoples lives on here at present.
John you may have a point about the greying , I've definately worked on old windows that had a dull slightly greyish finish :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back