Linseed oil paints on exterior wood

• Thread starter deanibusmaximus
  • Start date
D

deanibusmaximus

Has anyone ever used Holkham linseed oil paint. I am itching to have a go but have not found a willing guinea pig yet.

Apparently linseed oil paint was first used in the 1700s but fell from favour when solvent based paints were introduced as decorators could get the job done more quickly.

It looks a bit of a long drawn out process using this method, but it makes sense to me to feed and nourish timber using natural oil rather that seal it with modern paints and see it rot from the inside out.

It is claimed to last ten to fifteen years, but needs an occasional lick of oil or linseed oil paint to restore the shine as it looses it's gloss.

what do you think?

www.holkhamlinseedpaints.co.uk

Sponsored Links
There's someone on here that posts about them. I think his name is 'Oilman'.

I was under the impression that the biggest part of paint was linseed anyway.

I've seen this used , or at least some make of linseed oil paint many times in the past.
I'll say now I'm not a decorator , my experience is gained from working with decorators although I have applied it a couple of times.
As you say it does take longer to use, it seemed to me to be thicker or at least more viscous and seems heavier on the brush if you understand me. I seem to recall the decorators using turpentine to thin it if neccessary, that's proper turps not the subsitute.
It also takes longer to dry and harden than modern paints and also yellows quicker but one good side to it is that it smells nicer.
I don't know about the reviving of the finish as I was never involved in that although as a joiner I've encountered lots of old paint (by old I am refering to old linseed oil paints , I used to work on predominately heritage buildings) that has dulled to sometimes a complete matt finish. I have tried rubbing old paint with oil and it did bring back the shine, but it wasn't a very scientific test and I didn't keep it to check on a year later or so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back