Before we pay the fella - is this cobblers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Luddite seeking advice, please be gentle!

We're in a 3 bed semi, got an old back boiler on last legs, need a new boiler, local plumber quoted us £1800 for a bog-standard new condensing combi and to alter fittings etc. Having a look online, this seemed an OK sort of price so we went for it.

Now... he's just left, it's all working fine and that, but... the boiler in the cupboard is a Halstead Ace High - which if I'm reading the instructions correctly isn't a condensing combi, just a 'normal' combi.

So, before I ring hin and shout, is this right? Is he trying to rip us off or does this not matter?

Any advice gratefully received.

At least it's nice and warm here now and the hot water is working, I suppose!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
well the High Ace gc No.41-333-78 is not a condenser. Is your plumber a registered installer?

On the front of the instructions it says the Appliance number is: 47 333 16

Cheers for replies so far!

If you can see the pipework underneath the boiler, see if there is any pipework that runs to waste or a soakaway, it may be in plastic.

Supplementary question - and this shows what a luddite I am - if this boiler ain't a condensing one, does that matter? Should it be?

The money ain't in his bank yet, so if we have a decent reason not to pay him then that's what we'll do.

To be honest, we haven't checked this fella's credentials, but it's a small community, he lives round the corner and we know people he's done work for who have said he's OK, so we went with that (I know, I know...)

Thanks.

If you can see the pipework underneath the boiler, see if there is any pipework that runs to waste or a soakaway, it may be in plastic.

Thanks crockett. There is a one copper pipe out of the bottom of the boiler that goes straight out through the wall to outside.

Thats just a temp/pressure relief pipe. There should be another one as well. If there isn't, it may not be condensing. :cry:

Since mid 2005 it became illegal to fit anything other than a condensing boiler, so you may have an issue. Check the building regs and get in touch with your friendly plumber .

Thats just a temp/pressure relief pipe. There should be another one as well. If there isn't, it may not be condensing. :cry:

Thanks for advice crockett. There's no other pipe. I assume therefore we don't pay the fella and I have to get a little bit angry...

OK, do I just ask him for money off or is this whole thing a bunch of crap that needs taking out? Cheers.

You may have a problem if you sell your house (!), when they do the H.I.P. for efficiency. Check the regs.

Thanks crockett, much appreciated. Looks like I need to make a slightly tetchy call to the fella in the morning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back