Pros & Cons of Replacing Existing Combi with Condensing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had many problems with my boiler that was installed about 8 years ago (replacement PCB, diaphragm, PRV, expansion vessel) in my 4 bed semi (2 adults, 3 kids)

I'm seeking opinions/advice on whether to replace it or keep repairing as necessary.

My existing combi is a Halstead Ace I'm advised that it will probably need a new PCB within months.

I consulted a heating engineer about various issues with the heating and controls and they have suggested a new Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 condensing boiler. I've read this forum a lot and Vaillant seem to have a good rep so I'm not worried about his selection.

He states that it should save around 40% of gas bill (£200/year) but will cost around 2k to install - again seems an OK price.

I will take a fair few years to recoup the cost so just wondering what you would do? Conitnue to fix Halstead or switch now and reap the benfits of a much more efficient and better boiler?

Sponsored Links
40% saving :confused:

Closer to 10-15% i would say, the halstead isnt that inefficient compared to a modern combi.

Your Halstead Ace Assessment Report

Boiler efficiency is rated on the SEDBUK efficiency scale as per the image shown.

A rated boilers are the most efficient and will use more than 90% of the energy that you pay for.
G rated boilers are very inefficient actually WASTING more than 30% of the expensive energy purchased.

Your Halstead Ace boiler is rated at 76 % efficiency which is in the E band.

Whilst E band boilers do not qualify for the Boiler Scrappage Scheme it could be worth your while reviewing the other grants or offers available from the major boiler installers as your boiler is wasting up to 24 % of the gas that you buy.

The Energy Savings Trust advise that the typical savings which can be achieved by replacing E band boilers with new A-rated condensing models and installing a full set of heating controls is £110 per annum.

http://www.boiler-scrappage.info/?namedboiler=8184&boilername=Halstead Ace

Given that you rotten old halstead will have spent half of the year not actually working your gas consumption may rise!! :LOL:
but at least you will be warm and have reliable hot water ;)

40% saving :confused:

Closer to 10-15% i would say, the halstead isnt that inefficient compared to a modern combi.

Your Halstead Ace Assessment Report

Boiler efficiency is rated on the SEDBUK efficiency scale as per the image shown.

A rated boilers are the most efficient and will use more than 90% of the energy that you pay for.
G rated boilers are very inefficient actually WASTING more than 30% of the expensive energy purchased.

Your Halstead Ace boiler is rated at 76 % efficiency which is in the E band.

Whilst E band boilers do not qualify for the Boiler Scrappage Scheme it could be worth your while reviewing the other grants or offers available from the major boiler installers as your boiler is wasting up to 24 % of the gas that you buy.

The Energy Savings Trust advise that the typical savings which can be achieved by replacing E band boilers with new A-rated condensing models and installing a full set of heating controls is £110 per annum.

http://www.boiler-scrappage.info/?namedboiler=8184&boilername=Halstead Ace

Hmm - thats quite a difference from the 40% quoted. Doesn;t quite make the sums add up then....

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the sums do add up for you to get him to fit a new boiler if you did believe a 40% gas saving.

I would agree with about 10-15% saving!

If you were local I would install it cheaper than that too!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back