Beginner advice on rendering celcon blocks in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm after advice on doing some rendering on external block work ive been doing in my back yard.

If you look at the first picture below you'll see what I've made. Basically I'm constructing a pizza oven and bbq area. On the other side of the yard I've also made a blockwork bench and a small raised bed area.

Now that they're done, I'd like to render them but I've never done any rendering before so need some guidance.

I've done some reading on traditional sand/cement 2 coat renders an also seen ready mix bags of render and even read about ready mix tubs.

Can anyone give me some guide on the best type of mix - sand/cement or ready mix (for a beginner like me) a rough guide to the method and any pitfalls I should watch out for?

In terms of finish I'm really not after a perfectly sharp flat finish. I prefer the look of the imperfect renders you see on the moorish white houses in Southern Spain and North Africa. If that makes any sense to anyone.

Also a few other things.

1. My picture below shows a rounded/curved external comer. This is actually on a window reveal but I would like the same effect on the sharp external comers of my block work. My dad is convinced I take a chisel/grinder and cut an inch diagonal down the corner which will make it easier to curve around when rendering. What are people's thoughts on this?

2. My image below shows the finish I would like to achieve. Not perfectly flat, almost a bit gritty but quite fine. Again dad is convinced a brush on the wet render will create this. Again any help much appreciated.

3. I'm going to render the inside of the U shape of the bbq. Do I need to use a special type of render given this will be subject to heat?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Ben, the intrepid renderer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back