Behind the plaster coat it's like very crumbly sand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my conservatory I have had an issue with penetrating damp.
We have found the issue and corrected it ( hopefully)
Now I need to get the walls decorated again.

I noticed a few hollow sounding bits of plaster so took them off and beneath it was what appeared to be solid plaster. Although some bits have black marks ( which I think may be some kind of mound)

I found one really damaged bit and pulled it off and what can only be described as a waterfall of sand poured out. As I pulled out more and more plaster it revealed that pretty much all the wall behind the "good" plaster is like flaky, crumby sand.

I thought before I pull it all off I should consult the experts.
Do I need to pull it all off and go right back to the brick and get someone to re-do the whole wall or it it much easier than that and there is some way of rescuing it?

i will try to put up a photo in a second post

Sponsored Links
I think I have uploaded a picture below. You can see the crumby sand like stuff in the top part and the plaster that on the surface looks ok but I think is crumby behind it.
Maybe I should point out that none of the pink plaster sounds hollow when I tap it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited:
If it's as bad looking as you say, i'd remove the whole lot back to brick. Once you start messing about with that old sandy basecoat, you can sometimes open a can of worms. You said you had a penetrating damp problem that "hopefully" has been sorted. By removing all the old stuff, it gives you a chance to look at the old brickwork, and think about whether to re-plaster onto it again, or do what a lot of people do now with old problem walls, and that is to remove all the old plaster, check over the joints in the old stone/brickwork, re-point if neccesary, (some even cover the wall with a membrane) then strap the wall with treated timber, insulate between it, and then plasterboard it with 12.5mm thick, foil backed p/b. Once the wall has been boarded, it would then be taped, and you're then ready for decoration. Whatever you do, I certainly wouldn't plaster onto that old brickwork with Gypsum plaster, (lime plaster maybe), especially knowing you've had an issue with penetrating damp. I'd go for the insulation/plasterboard option, but this is just my opinion, others will have theirs.

Last edited:
What was the original issue?
Is this wall the rear wall of the house?
Is the opening in the wall a doorway?
The elec cable protection seems to be very close to the surface

The sandy base coat is an improper render mix - typically you will have to hack all off back to bare brick, & start plastering or rendering again. Be cautious hacking off around the "mound" & the cable.
Is the house/rear elevation rendered?

The ceiling seems to be badly boarded - is this a DIY job?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
It's looks like I have to take it all the way back then.
What a pain... But I'd rather do it properly.
The ceiling is currently being replaced.
It was a conservatory with a plastic see through ceiling but now I have someone replacing it with a timber roof and they have insulated it and boarded it. It just hasn't been plastered yet that's all.
The builder is away this weekend so I wasn't able to ask him about the wall.
I guess I will need to pay him to re-do that wall now

Thanks a lot guys for your replies

Forgot to say what the original issue was
It was old guttering that was blocked ( all replaced now)
And not enough flashing ( whatever that is!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back