Bell cast placement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me!

Two years ago we had to have our floors up and several rotten joists replaced on our 1930s-built home. The ground levels (mainly block paving or concrete) are above or level with the DPC towards the front of the house. The house is rendered to below ground level in some parts (i.e., the block paving meets the render :eek:) . As part of the initial remedial works we had the render at the front hacked back above DPC and the existing channels filled with gravel to DPC (as opposed to the soil and blocks 'thoughtfully placed' in front of the air bricks). We've now gotten round to tidying up things outside and add the bell cast/patch in as recommended to deflect rain and make things tidy.

I'm struggling with where to place the bell drip.....I believe this should be just above the DPC, however our DPC lies directly beneath the air bricks. If I attach the bell drip bead at this level, what should I do when I get to an air brick? I could attach the bead one course above, however I will then have the same problem with the air brick in the middle of the bay which is situated one course above the others. Hopefully the photos will clarify the issue! In an ideal world I'd hack the render off completely but it's very well adhered apart from in a few areas. Elsewhere on the house, it's been really difficult to remove without damaging the underneath brick.

IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG

I plan on leaving the bricks bare beneath the bell drip as I think rendering up to the DPC is just asking for trouble given the height of the ground, is repointing the exposed brick with lime the way to go?

Am I right in the thinking the channels need to be dug to 15cm below but can be filled with large gravel to just below DPC?

Thanks in advance for advice on any of the above!

Sponsored Links
Properly done the bell cast should throw water off the wall, air brick or render. I would try to keep gravel/stones at least one brick depth below the dpc level and ensure the block paving falls away from the house wall.

Blup

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back