Bellbox Tamper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im in the middle of fitting an alarm (wired bellbox, wireless sensors)

My control panel has 2 terminals for "BELL TAMP" (which were bridged when i got the alarm) and my bellbox has only one un-used terminal (apart from BTO) which is "RETURN" I'm pretty sure this is the tamper terminal, but what do i do with the other wire? connect it to the Hold+ or Hold-? or will I have to just join the 2 "BELL TAMP" wires? I understand that if the power supply from the control panel is lost, the alarm will sound anyway (providing the battery is working)

If there is a way to use the tamper, i would rather use it, if not, no big deal

Regards,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Normally, a bell tamper consists of a 0V feed, goes through the switches and comes back and connects to the return terminal of the control panel.

What bell box have you got and what control panel?

Thanks for your reply, it is a swann ls 5000 alarm and the bellbox is from maplin, unsure of the make... I got the alarm second hand and i noticed the cable to the bellbox only used 5 of the wires?

Thanks again,
Mike

At the control panel the terminals you mention - one will be a Neg feed, the other will be a Neg return.

The single wire return from your 'bell box' needs to go to the return side of the two terminals. The other terminal remains empty.

Not knowing the panel you have does not help with giving the exact one of the two, to connect your wire, Trial & error will not hurt anything.

Sponsored Links
Ahh thanks, makes sense, i will try that when i get a few other minor problems sorted (tamper switches on sensors!)

ok, so i got everything working (minus the bellbox tamper) with the bellbox inside, put the bellbox outside, connected it up exactly the same, now its just constantly sounding and stops when i disconnect the battery.

I didnt have the "Return" on the bellbox connected (but i didn't in the house either)

To me this sounds like its not getting power from the control unit, should I test this with a multi-meter? both at the control panel and at the bellbox?

Oh, and i found in the instructions, the "Return" on the bellbox connects to the left terminal of the two "BELL TAMP" so i tried that, still with no luck...

my connections are as follows:

Control Unit.......... Bellbox
12v+.................Hold+
12v-..................Hold-
TRIG.................TG
STB TRIG...........STB

(Return..............BELL TAMP)

I presume the first point of call is to test the voltage from the control unit, I will do this when the wind calms down. Any other ideas are appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike

Update- noticed the fuse had blown for the bellbox, replaced it and followed the instructions to test the siren, it worked doing this, but setting the alarm off only sounds the internal siren?

Ive changed the setting so that any tamper (from a detector or the control unit) sounds the external siren... This also works, so its only when one of the detectors is activated it doesnt sound, which is when it needs to! The only thing not connected is the battery, surely that shouldnt matter if the test function works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back