Silencing bellbox during panel swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an Accenta G3 alarm with a Texacom Odyssey bellbox. This was installed by a pro 14 years ago. Because he used the existing 4 core wiring from a previous alarm the tamper circuit on the PIR zones is linked out. Also on the bellbox the strobe is not connected for the same reason. The alarm has false triggered 4 times in a week when not set on “tamper”. Always when stood in front on the hall PIR(zone 2). Not realising the bellbox had its own tamper I assumed the panel was faulty and bought a new G4 panel. When I came to do the install I realised that disconnecting or powering off the alarm would cause the bellbox to go off. I put the alarm into the engineers mode climbed the ladder assuming that being in the engineers mode the bell wouldn’t go off but as soon as I turned one of the cover screws by a quarter turn the alarm went off. The instructions for the bellbox suggest putting invoking the “hold off” mode by activating the strobe 3 times in 30s, but I can’t do this as the strobe is not wired to the panel. My questions are:-
1) What is the procedure for silencing the bellbox and swapping the alarm?
2) If the bellbox microswitch has been triggering the alarm would it show on the panel as “tamper”? therefore the G3 panel is not faulty and doesn’t need replacing.

Sponsored Links
1) Stick the bell power (hold off) wires onto the battery. That should keep it quiet for a few hours... (Obviously, you'll need to disconnect all the bell connections and pull the cable out of the panel enclosure first.)

Quarter turn on screw sounds like the tamper switch not adjusted this may have caused the tamper , also when was the battery last replaced ?

1) Stick the bell power (hold off) wires onto the battery. That should keep it quiet for a few hours... (Obviously, you'll need to disconnect all the bell connections and pull the cable out of the panel enclosure first.)
sorry don't understand. if i disconnect all the wires at the panel end surely the bellbox will go off. which battery do you mean the one in the bellbox or the one in the panel. can't i kill the power to the panel then run up the ladder and disconnect the bellbox battery?
The battery in the alarm is new, but the one in the bellbox is original(14 yrs old)
Is the G3 panel man enough to power the bellbox without using SCB. I would rather not have a battery in the bellbox that i can't disarm.

Sponsored Links
The bell is going to sound, whatever you do. If you can stop it quickly, nobody will care. If you're going to "run up the ladder", why not just do it and disconnect the +12V and battery? If the panel is in engineer's mode, you won't get a tamper in the house.

Note what Sparkymarka said - this may be the cause of your tampers (it has been a bit windy....)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back