Belle 140 mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is a great problem at the moment so I hope someone could help .
My cement mixer is not starting at the moment, after looking at the engine relized I had no spark at the spark plug. What would cause this to happen, I have checked the spark plug gap and loose connections just don't know what to check next, please help
Many thanks :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Is this the small Honda engine?
Obviously try a new plug, but:
1st - check the oil level, it has an automatic shut down system if the level is low. This switch is also known to fail.
2nd - check the on off switch for failing i.e disconnect it
3rd - if all else fails, the igniter coil has called it a day.
John :)

Thanks for the reply, which switch is known to fail, and also am I able to acquire an igniter coil to install myself.
Oh ye. It is a 3 hp engine made by Briggs and Stratton,

Is there anyway of testing the igniter coil eg resistance testing.
Thank you burnerman

The best way of testing the igniter coil is to disconnect any thin black wires leading from it (these are the cut outs) therefore bypassing them.
A swift spin of the flywheel should give a spark (difficult to see in sunlight).
If it is the igniter, easy to replace - two bolts. The clever bit is the clearance between the igniter and the flywheel.
Insert a piece of cereal packet (one layer) between the coil and the flywheel and tighten the screws. Spin the flywheel to extract the card.
The engine may or may not have an oil alert switch on the side of the casing, and also a stop switch somewhere. Both can give issues
so test the igniter as above.
Now then.....as its a Briggs motor these have a tendency to shear the flywheel key, which results in the engine firing once but never running. Post back if thats the case!
Be lucky

Sponsored Links
I've had another look at engine and have noticed the off and run switch maybe missing a link so pressed lever manually, it is running now, not sure if that was problem, but still can't see spark on spark plug, it maybe down to luck so will soon see. Thank you for your time burner man, hope it runs tomorrow when I start work, thank :D :D

The spark is a very high voltage but minimal current....so its difficult to see but prevents the plugs wearing out.
If the mixer has started, then it sounds like the igniter is ok.
If you disconnect the stop / go switch, you can always stop the engine on the choke if it gets you out of a jam!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back