Ryobi RLT26CDS - Not starting - Air bubbles in return

Got proper fuel in it now and new plug. It fired but runs for 5 odd seconds then cuts out so engine not seized.

Also dies on full throttle. Need to try and keep it running and gradually increase to full throttle see if I can keep it running.

Was frustrated before. It's even more frustrating now it has ran but won't keep going.

May buy new carb in next two hours if not running right by then.

Sponsored Links
Try juggling with the choke to see if it will run on full throttle......I would guess there's still a small blockage somewhere.
Are there any adjustment screws on the carb side? Set each one a turn out from fully in. Some carbs have a funny screw profile, which needs a 'pacman' screwdriver to adjust them.
John :)

Think I messed around with the needle valve too much.

I don't have a pacman socket just checked.

I've never messed with them and it was fine before so I am guessing I shouldn't have touched the needle valve.

I looked at it again and tried bending lever all the way out and as close to parallel to body as possible.

It cannot lie parallel to body as spring stops it from doing that.

Just regarding those adjustment screws....if there are two, they should be marked L for low and H for high speed adjustment. Its usually necessary to unscrew and remove them, keeping them in order, whilst carb cleaning is carried out.
Normal slotted screws are dead easy, but the pacman type do need the special tool.
Some carbs have no adjusting screws at all, just to add to the mystery!
What are you going to do?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice John.

I've been out and got a pacman screwdriver but still not joy.

I've lost the will to live to be honest. 10 hours wasted! I've just blasted Ryobi on Twitter. They really are a piece of sh*t as a brand. Apologies if this offends ir breaks forum rules but I really have lost the plot!

My neighbours must be upset. The air was very blue earlier. I have two bleeding fingers from the pull cord. I am so pee'd off.

I even started stripping it down to try and access the crankshaft so I could use a drill to start it as a certain video on YouTube.

Where's that Stanley knife?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back