Strimmer hard to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

This is more of a general question & to add to my learning curve should it happen again when out in a field etc.

Petrol strimmer.
New plug & Air filter say 3 months ago.
Yesterday tried to start it on full choke but nothing.
Also tried on half / no choke but nothing.
Fuel tank pretty much full.
Good spark at plug but wasnt wet.

What i did notice was when i pressed the primer bulb it didnt seem to want to compress.
I removed the fuel pipe that comes from the primer bulb to the carb & pressed the primer bulb.
I can now see the bulb compress & fuel comes out of the pipe fine & it also refills the primer bulb.

I removed the air filter & added a small squirt of carb cleaner into the carb.
Pulled the cord & it started straight away & run for 5 minutes no problem until i switched it off.

I would say blockage etc BUT surely the engine would only then run on the carb cleaner that i squirted in then once used the engine would die but the engine continued to run for 5 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Below the primer bulb there is a valve that allows the bulb to pump fuel through the carburettor and I'd guess it had just become lazy due to lack of use.
If you don't intend to use the machine regularly then consider using Aspen two stroke mix which is much more tolerant and kind to the carburettor internals.
John :)

I have been using it so wasnt lack of use,i will see what happens over the next week

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back