Efco jet 300A petrol strimmer - won't start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has given me a petrol strimmer, an old Efco Jet 300A. It won't start, and a search online has not thrown up a manual for it, although I found one for a different Efco model.

I took the plug out. Looks OK. Brown, not black. Gapped it to 0.7mm. Peered inside the carb, looks OK.

Pulling the cord, the engine turns freely, but doesn't fire at all. Fuel blockage? No spark? Not sure how to tell.

Not sure what to do now. Should I change the spark plug (this one is probably the original!)? Should I put fresh fuel in? Someone told me 2 stroke fuel can "go off", which sounds a bit far fetched, seeing as it's just petrol.

There is an idle speed screw on the throttle, at the engine end of the cable. There are also 2 other spring loaded screws, marked H and L, which I have no clue about or whether I should touch them.

Any advice welcome, and if anyone has a manual for one of these, I'll be your friend for life! :cool:

Sponsored Links
Maybe I can give you some tips here.
Fuel mix does go off - if its a year old or perculiar smelling, then tip it out and pour some fresh mix in.
A two stroke engine will come back to life if it has compression...there should be some resistance as you spin the engine on the starter cord.
With the plug out, turn the engine over and pull the starter a couple of times. If raw fuel spits out, then the engine is flooded so keep it spinning for a minute.
If the engine isn't flooded, tip a little raw fuel down the plug 'ole, plug in and try for start. If the engine fires once or twice then you may be getting somewhere.
To start any two stroke, they need full choke and full throttle. Pull the recoil starter briskly and within 4 or 5 pulls the engine should fire. Then, its choke off but throttle full on and pull the starter and you should be away.
I'm not saying the carb doesn't need attention, but they are complex things and need compressed air and an aerosol cleaner. The screws you mention are for Low speed and High speed fuel adjustment running.....often the turns required are engraved on the casing but if not, undo each screw one turn from fully in, just to get you going.
Have fun!
John :)

Cheers John. That's helpful. I'll try all that tonight. There is compression - I can feel it when I pull the cord and I can hear the 'phut phut' of the decompression through the exhaust when I pull, even though it doesn't fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back