Petrol strimmer stalls on throttle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Einhell petrol strimmer which stalls on throttle or even when idling if you move the choke far from the fully on/open position.

I have run with new fuel, checked air filter, changed spark plug, checked the fuel tank breather and cleaned the carburetor (although I have not adjusted the settings on this as there do not appear to be any of the usual screws for doing so). I also tried to clean the spark arrestor but it doesn't appear to have one (is this likely?). To do this, I removed the exhaust unit. There was nothing on the outside of this but having removed it from the engine block there does appear to be a place where this might have gone (between exhaust unit and engine) but it's not there. Could it have been damaged and fallen off? What impact would having no spark arrestor have?

Machine still doesn't work properly after all of this. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The spark arrestor is usually fitted to the outside of the exhaust can, but not every machine will have one.
Feel free to run the engine without the exhaust.....it will make a bit of a racket, naturally but will rule out any blockage if you suspect that.
Regarding the fault you have, it's obviously fuel starvation, and this will need a carb strip down to access the tiny gauze filter within. There is a risk of gaskets and diaphragms splitting of course - an occupational hazard!
John :)

This is probably the same as my Qualcast strimmer , that has a carburettor with no visible adjustment screws. Let me know if you find them .

Sponsored Links
It looks like this is what my local repair guy calls a "2 Season" strimmer. When I asked for clarity, he explained - if you are lucky, you may get 2 seasons out of it.

I have been down this road, replaced carbs on cheap strimmers, tried to clean and tune carbs which must be made by 9 year olds they are so fiddly and impossible to rebuild with adult fingers.

Eventually, I bought a Stihl as I was advised they were good kit, three years in... you've guessed it, replaced the carb!!

No way to win this one!

I have an Einhell petrol strimmer which stalls on throttle or even when idling if you move the choke far from the fully on position.

Machine still doesn't work properly after all of this. Any ideas?
Run the thing with the choke on - I'm being serious, after fiddling/cleaning the carb on my old Mountfield mower it runs on half choke adequately, I'm too old to pizz about with reluctant machinery. Did enough of that in my youth, and enjoyed it then. Cars, bikes etc.;)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think it has the WYJ carburetor in the link posted by litl. This suggests it does have an adjustable idle needle etc. Where would I find these? I guess this could be the problem???

As for running it with the choke on, that doesn't work either because as soon as you give it some throttle it stalls as well.

Should I strip the carb or could I replace it or could it be a problem relating to the crankcase as I've read in other posts.

Don't think it is the fuel mix as I have repeatedly tried new fuel at the required 40:1 mix.

By all means take the carb to bits, especially if you have a can of carb cleaner handy - that's essential .
The chances of you seeing any grot in there are pretty remote - the drillings in the carb are very small and any obstruction too small to see.
I'd not worry about crankcase issues.....although it's important that two stroke engines mustn't ingest air through the crankshaft oil seals, this only applies to engines that have done many hours work. In these cases, you can see oil traces leaking from the crankshaft, behind the flywheel, for example.
Post a pic or two if you decide to get stuck in!
John :)

Have a look on Ebay and see if you can get a cheap replacement carb. I've got an old Ryobi strimmer in pieces and I can get a new carb for £10 inc postage from China when I get round to rebuilding it

Have you checked the air filter.

I know eff all about engines but recently hired a wacker plate. It kept conking out until someone suggested blowing compressed air through the air filter. I did, and it worked perfectly. Their rationale was that the engines are so basic that there are only a handful of things that could cause the engine to conk out.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think it has the WYJ carburetor in the link posted by litl. This suggests it does have an adjustable idle needle etc. Where would I find these? I guess this could be the problem?

If it is adjustable its the main jet needle which raise when the throtle is operated .there is a tiny screwdiver slot under a plastic plug, its in the brass centre of the plastic piece on top of the carb.
I did an Echo long reach hedge trimmer a couple of week ago which had exactly the same symptoms.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back