Below Floor Storage in a Flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All, some advice required please.

I live in a small victorian flat (3rd floor) and need more storage. I am considering utilising the space between the floor joists. This would either mean having multiple removable panels to provide access, or a single panel (per joist gap) and a series of draws on runners (like a storage trian which I could pull to access those futher along).

Off the top of my head I believe my joists are 12" apart and 9" deep, obvoiusly they would need to be thinly lined so not to lose what space there is.

Do systems like this already exist? Am I reinventing the wheel? I cannot figure out if this is genius or stupidity.

GW

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the people in the flat below will love you for that...

the noise from drawers on runners would be rediculous to them
then there's the fire aspect of it.. you're probably breaching some sort of building code.
also the fact that the void space will be where the flat below's wiring and lights will be run.. so you'll not find much useable space in there anyway..

if you do us a load of photo's of the flat and a sketch with rough dimensions we may be able to suggest some alternative storage..

Thanks Coljack

Ok, so not the best idea I've ever had. As the flat is in a state due to ongoing work I may pop back later on for storage ideas once furniture locations (etc) are decided. Thanks for the kind offer :)

Sponsored Links
Afternoon All, some advice required please.

? I cannot figure out if this is genius or stupidity.

GW
I can ;) ,But it is a DIY forum and I`ll help too. In fact I achieved a good size storage cupboard above a stairwell - which your flat may not have :oops: From the bannister to the wall opposite. Also if it`s Victorian high ceilings consider wall cupbards above head height . Check out their looks etc. with a cardboard box held in position ( by A.N .Other) while you look and see if it looks pants :LOL: Just call me Laurie LLewelyn Bowing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back