Loft flooring - are the joists strong enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Im new to all this but have just moved house and want to create a bit of light storage space in my loft. I was going to use some Wickes 3/4in 122cm x 30cm tongue and groove loft panel boards.

The insulation is below the level of the joist and as im not going to board the whole loft just a bit maybe 4m2 to put some christmas decorations, old clothes and tubs ventilation wont be a problem and im not giong to board over the bits were there are wires.

My only concern is that the joists look a bit flimsy, i've read a few threads and it seems that my joist are a little thin. They are just over an inch thick, and 5 inches deep and are spaced 14 inches apart. they span 12 feet on one side and 14 feet the other with a wall in the middle.

3/4 inch boards are pretty heavy, add the storage on top, will the joists take the strain or will my ceiling plaster have a party with the floor?

Sponsored Links
Whats the rest of the timbers like in the roof space? Whats the constructiion of the trusses like?

Is roof Slate? Tiles? thatch? (LOL sorry abt that one)

It sounds to me like if you say they are 5" deep with a supporting wall underneeth then you should have no problems at all.... they sound bigger than some ground floor joists ive seen recently....

Could you upload a picture of what you have?

Im sure someone else will put in there two penneth..... EVENTUALY..

5x1! smaller than a gravelboard on a run of fencing. I'd be beefing those up.

Sponsored Links
The dimensions of the joists in situ are 5 x 1 which maybe equates to almost 1&1/8 nominal (or metric equivalant). Gravel boards are usually thinner than this, say 22mm (equivalant to 1" nominal).

Have a quick check and make sure the joists are supported on the walls of the house direct... (Right own in the eaves).... If they are you should have no problems at all....

Maybe even add a little more insulation before you baord out the central bit too....

Great pics BTW....

They always help...

It's best to come off the wallplate or internal wallplate and use you own new joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back