Loft Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to lay a few 8ft by 2ft loft boards to give us a little extra storage space and am a little concerned the ceiling below may crack etc. The joists that I will lay them on are 12 inches apart and are 3" by 1 3/4" apart. Do I need to be concerned?

Sponsored Links
for me yes on 2 counts.

lofts are not good places for storage - i would try and be more ruthless and dispose of as much as u can - if u've not used in say 3yrs are u ever really going to. i was much in your mind a while ago until i moved and had to get the stuff out the loft.

i've since found that ceiling joists were not really designed to carry load never mind the extra insulation that now goes into them. i think the loft boards will be fine in them selves but any storage - be mindful and try to put anything heavy well away from the joist mid span - ideally over any supporting walls underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back