Benefits of oversizing your radiators - is it recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am putting in new heating and am tempted to oversize my radiators on the assumption that it will heat the house quicker...

Apart from cost of radiators, can anyone see any downsides? Is it recommended or problematic in any way?

Cheers,
J

Sponsored Links
Definitely if you're redoing it all anyway. The relative small extra cost of the bigger radiators will pay for itself eventually by the fact you can run your boiler at a cooler flow temperature and keep it condensing for longer (e.g. 60 flow instead of 70). Obviously there are diminishing returns if you go too far though!

I'd oversize as much as you can, without it costing you a fortune & the radiators looking huge. This will future proof your home, when Natural Gas runs out or is just a silly price, we'll be forced to use other heat generating plant. At the moment heat pumps are becoming more & more popular. Their optimum operating temperature is vastly lower than a gas boiler.

Sponsored Links
Definitely if you're redoing it all anyway. The relative small extra cost of the bigger radiators will pay for itself eventually by the fact you can run your boiler at a cooler flow temperature and keep it condensing for longer (e.g. 60 flow instead of 70). Obviously there are diminishing returns if you go too far though!

Really??? , are you not forgetting an important factor?????

Radiators are over sized every time it is warmer than design temperature which is usually -3c...

Save your money and spend it on compensation controls that vary the flow temp and insulation...

The way I read it is that he's replacing the radiators regardless. If the current radiators are heating the house amply then I wouldn't normally suggest to rip them out for no reason. But if all are being replaced there are only advantages to oversizing assuming good controls to stop the house from being heated any more than it needs to be (be that WC or just plain old TRV's).

Thanks guys and yes, i am replacing regardless! I think I will oversize by about 15%. I can do that without going double on any rads!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back