Bespoke Shower Screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bath will be in a corner where the protruding wall is not as deep as the bath, so the bath will be proud about 20cm. As we want a shower screen above the bath it ideally needs to wrap around the protruding corner but also be on a hinge to allow access to the bath from that end, as the toilet will obstruct the other end.

Corner screens are available to purchase but as the glass is toughened they cannot be resized, and it seems a bit ridiculous to pay for the whole screen and then replace the glass with bespoke cut sheets.

So I just want to know what fixings I need and where's best to buy them?

2.jpg

First option would be to have two panes where the larger side pane is hinged on the corner connected to the smaller back pane.
3.jpg

Second option would be to have three panes, a fixed back and side pane connected at the corner with a third pane connected with hinges.
Untitled-2.jpg

The fixtures would be at the wall, connecting at a right angle to the tiles, then the corner connection between the two panes (static or hinged), and then if static, additional hinges for the third panel. Then suitable, seals at the bottom of the panes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Could you build out wall to eliminate problem , or folding shower screen (panels are approx 200mm each).

Thanks foxhole. The more research I do the more I realise that even if I can get all the right parts it'll be expensive and probably look shoddy unless I get a pro in.

I think building the wall out is going to be the most sensible option, I'm just worried it will make the room feel smaller.

Sponsored Links
We have a 2 piece sliding screen, in hindsight I wish I'd have just put in a fixed single panel instead.

Took ages to get it watertight and in normal use we rarely slide it closed or hinge it out..

https://www.kerolhardware.co.uk/shower-brackets.html

Find the specifications and then get an online glass supplier to drill the holes and toughen the glass.

You may need a ceiling to glass "arm" to support it though.

I am guessing that a rigid structure will be much cheaper and easier than a hinged one.

In theory it sounds so simple, it can be done but you need to supply the glass processor with the brackets so they get the right hole centres but also as this will be a bespoke one off the price will be extortionate, processed glass isn't cheap, to start with 6mm float glass, mark and drill holes very close the edge, break a few panes in doing so, then polish and bevel the edges, posssibly breaking one or two, then when you have all the glass cut, drilled and polished its time for toughening and now your in the lap of the gods, toughened glass can shatter right at the end of the process when its cooled with cold air, now you start all over again.

Don't get me wrong it can be done and is done, theres toughened shower screens everywhere with drilled holes and polished edges but they were probably mass produced in china and computer cut and processed with minimal human interaction, any breakages went straight into the recycling furness where they floated their own glass out again

Think it'll be cheaper just to build the wall out lol!

In theory it sounds so simple, it can be done but you need to supply the glass processor with the brackets so they get the right hole centres but also as this will be a bespoke one off the price will be extortionate, processed glass isn't cheap, to start with 6mm float glass, mark and drill holes very close the edge, break a few panes in doing so, then polish and bevel the edges, posssibly breaking one or two, then when you have all the glass cut, drilled and polished its time for toughening and now your in the lap of the gods, toughened glass can shatter right at the end of the process when its cooled with cold air, now you start all over again.

Don't get me wrong it can be done and is done, theres toughened shower screens everywhere with drilled holes and polished edges but they were probably mass produced in china and computer cut and processed with minimal human interaction, any breakages went straight into the recycling furness where they floated their own glass out again

Think it'll be cheaper just to build the wall out lol!

I just clicked on a glass supplier on the first Google result page. £156.30 (ex delivery) for a toughen 10mm sheet, polished corners, two 6mm holes, 1000mm by 1500mm. At those kind of prices, with fittings and two pieces of glass- total cost of £250? Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

http://www.glass-outlet.co.uk/product/design-your-own-glass/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back