Best acoustic ceiling insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got to insulate bedroom floor which has kitchen diner below. Joist depth is a good 7 inches. Only ever used 100mm rockwool slabs for this, anyone got any better options? Can’t find the same slabs any thicker like 150mm. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Could do I guess, if it was vaguely cost effective and sufficiently improved soundproofing. Particularly if there’s not an alternative product. Thanks.

I dont know what wicks prices are like but they also give 15% off £100 if ordered online...some sort of Black Friday thing

Sponsored Links
Is it conversation/TV/snoring you need to block, or shoes on wooden floor?

What sort of finish do you plan? (Carpet?) Any chance of raising the finished floor level?

I’m trying to reduce noise from kitchen into bedroom above, so no issues with walking around etc. No chance of raising floor, got the full 7inch joist depth to use.
Bedroom floor finish is bare floorboards (which doesn’t help)

Last edited:
Also, double boarding it - worth the effort? (Not soundbloc just normal board)

Adding mass to any space is going to reduce noise travel (sound-proof booths are lined with lead). Double boarding will help quite a lot. The thicker and heavier the better.

I’m trying to reduce noise from kitchen into bedroom above

Then yes, you have some chance of making a useful improvement by putting wool-type insulation into the space.

So you are replacing the downstairs ceiling?

So you are replacing the downstairs ceiling?

Yep, replacing downstairs ceilings. Whenever I’ve done this before, I’ve shoved 100mm rockwool slabs in. Seems to work to a degree, but was wondering if there was anything else thicker and better as I’ve got 175mm ish to play with.

100mm Rockwool between joists and 12.5mm plasterboard and skim ceiling , or just 15mm Sounbloc board and skim ceiling with no insulation ,complies with bldg. regs ; so if you put 100mm Rockwool quilt between joists and 15mm Soundbloc board and 5mm skim on ceiling,
with a thick carpet and underlay on the first floor boarding, wouldn't that be enough acoustic insulation for you ? Also seal around perimeter of floor /ceiling to reduce airborne sound travelling up at edges ( there are recommended details for reducing airborne and structure borne sound in this situation but I haven't got them handy at the moment )

How noisy is the kitchen ?!!!

Regards

You can get Acoustic Rockwool slabs which are denser than regular rockwool. I’m not sure what sizes are available but you can obviously stack them. A bit harder from below i guess. Beware of burying cables if you try to squeeze in too much.
Of course double plasterboard, or using soundblock plasterboard, will also help.

If there is currently nothing there at all then I think 100m of acoustic wool will make a huge improvement.

You can get Acoustic Rockwool slabs which are denser than regular rockwool. I’m not sure what sizes are available but you can obviously stack them. A bit harder from below i guess. Beware of burying cables if you try to squeeze in too much.
Of course double plasterboard, or using soundblock plasterboard, will also help.

If there is currently nothing there at all then I think 100m of acoustic wool will make a huge improvement.
The Rockwool slabs I linked to above are the sound insulation variety.

I did my kitchen ceiling with 100mm rockwool RW5 slab (more dense than the accoustic slab I believe), then double boarded with 12.5 soundbloc to up the ceiling mass even more.

Works well at keeping down the sound of washing machine running at night.

I did consider using resiliant bar to help decouple the plasterboard from the joists and reduce transmission of vibrations, but decided that was probably overkill.

The 100mm RW5 was a bit of a pain to fit as my joists are a wonky and the slab doesnt really compress easily, so not much margin to cut oversize and squeeze in.

Cheers. I’ve used the resilient bars before and they do seem to give a decent improvement, but not going to bother this time, probably double board instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back