best adhesive to stick wood handle into plastic snow shovel

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Completely bare, untreated wooden handle fits into plastic shovel. Friction not enough to keep it in place. What's the best glue? A contact glue like Bostick? Superglue? Something else?

Thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
Gorilla glue probably meets your needs. It foams up (expands) when it reacts with the moisture in the wood and fills all the little gaps - follow the instructions on the bottle

Thanks JACKRAE, had never heard of Gorilla Glue but have now read the Gorilla Glue guide online and it looks perfect, especially as the plastic socket is a perfect round and the wooden shaft of course isn't. diynot.com rocks!

Thanks for suggestion DIYISFUN but I think a screw would just crack the plactic when any force was applied.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
I've found that gorilla glue to be worse than useless and threw it away.

You can get a double pack of epoxy resin at the pound shop.

Cut a slot in timber and place a small wedge in it and tap down shovel neck over it, will expand as the wedge is driven into slot, no glue needed.

Polyurethane expanding glues (cartridge type) are very good at what they do. Similar to ex- foam but by no means the same, these are extremely cohesive to most surfaces.

Shop joiners use it all the time but it does need the surfaces to be clamped. Be warned, it sticks like nothing else and don't get it on anything you don't want sticking!

Awesome sticking power!!

you could use anything from silicone to gripfil to sort this out.

if using gorilla glue then 1 side needs to be moist.

There's a website called thistothat which is useful when sticking one material to another.

Have you considered how difficult it will be to get a glued handle out when you've snapped it? Stick (pun) with the screw idea.

All the snow shovels I've seen have the wooden handle secured with a screw (just like on a broom)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back