Best blower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the Stihl 86. Hoped to get one that sucked as well. Have found this cheap corded one useful with its sucking option. Not sure what people think of those?

What blowers u recommend?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I find the hand held garden vacs a waste of time.....the bag fills up in no time and gets very heavy if the leaves are wet. The water from the vac soaks the operator and the bag zips fail.
The Stihl BG series are great blowers and easy to start, and with some practice the leaves will go where you want.
John :)

I sort of agree with the comments that John makes, but I have a hand held leaf blower/vacuum and I use it a lot and find it very helpful. The difference is the context. I think that John does garden work professionally whereas I am doing it in my own garden. So if John has to deal with a garden today and the leaves are wet then he has to get on with it whereas I can put it off for a couple of days until they are drier. So there is less water on me, less weight in the bag and less stress on the bag zip.

I have two of these blower/vacuums. An old Ryobi that came with the house. This has a plastic impeller that the leaves hit and, AFAIUI, this is supposed to break them up. If they are very dry this does happen to some extent but not that much and it seems to have got worse. Hence I bought a new one (last year) that has metal blades and which does chop the leaves up so they will break down more quickly and take up less space.

This is one of these and I would not recommend it. Fitting the connection at the top of the bag onto the body is fiddly and that connection is held onto the bag with a shoelace (!) which I replaced with a cable tie. The biggest problem is that the leaves (after being shredded) double back on themselves at 45°, so they clog more easily that is necessary, especially when wet.

However it was cheap and I wanted try one with wheels on the front to see if they helped on the lawn (they do IME) or they got in the way as some reviews say.

The Screwfix page says that bag is 45L but I don't believe that. It seems to be the same size as others that are c. 20-25L. Whatever the capacity, when working well it will fill up quickly. I have a couple of these tubs from Wickes that I empty the bag into as I go along. By putting an empty one on top of a full one, the contents are compressed down and I can get a lot into them.

Good post Stephen. My own garden is large and has leaves a-plenty, and although I've given my Ryobi petrol machine a good few chances I've decided it's just not worth the effort, preferring the blower, barrow and rake!
I could be tempted to try a wheeled machine if I had the storage space.

Sponsored Links
I find the hand held garden vacs a waste of time.....the bag fills up in no time and gets very heavy if the leaves are wet. The water from the vac soaks the operator and the bag zips fail.
The Stihl BG series are great blowers and easy to start, and with some practice the leaves will go where you want.

Can u get vacs with these Stihl blowers?

Best blower? I knew a girl from Luton, god she could blow, alas she had died since.

She had the best kept garden!

Andy

preferring the blower, barrow and rake!

I not only have a lot of ground with plenty of mature trees (and hence lots of leaves) but my garden is on the side of a steep valley. I have one barrow at the top and another halfway down and there are c. 25 steps between those levels. Another 8 or so steps down I cleared out in front of a retaining wall and built three leaf mould bins. The largest is c. 2 cubic metres and I more than fill it each year.

So shredding stuff and compacting it in tubs means fewer trips up and down the stairs!.

I could be tempted to try a wheeled machine if I had the storage space.

If my garden was on the level I am sure that I would get one. I have tried a couple of the relatively cheap electric ones. One was pretty rubbish and one was okay, but both were flimsy and broke quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back