Best Boiler brands...

Sponsored Links
he isn't approved by any manufacturer .....will do the job for £300-500 in a single day...
I don't want to p**s on your chips, but that does not fill me with confidence :(

Quite why it would is beyond me since you don't even know who he is....unless you are one of those people who think charging 3 times the price for a similar job is okay so long as the customer is mugged over.

May be ? may be not ? there is a post in the CC today about one of there engineers who walked away from a 1 year old boiler under warranty !

Excuse could not get the analiser probe into flue elbow :D :D :D
You could'nt make it up really !

Oh dear!

I live in a council property and had my boiler serviced the other month by one of their contractors. His service consisted of taking off the front panel and turning on a hot tap, he could have done that with the front panel still attached! I noticed he had a Kane bag with him, I asked whether he was going to use what was in the bag, his reply "nah don't need to on this new boilers".

Oh no tightness test or gas rate either.

The boiler is a beautiful 24kw Ideal Isar.

Forgot to add he was here to do a cp12 as well.

Sponsored Links
unless you are one of those people who think charging 3 times the price for a similar job is okay so long as the customer is mugged over.
Ha ha ha

Unless of course I am one of those people who knows that it takes the best part of a day just to properly clean an old system? And who knows that the major cause of failure of a new boiler on an old system is dirt and sediment from the pipes and radiators? And that this failure will not be covered by manufacturers warranty because it is an installation error? And who knows that boiler manufacturers will happily train and approve an installer without charge so that they can confidently offer a free extended warranty on any boiler he fits?

I am not a heating engineer, I am a householder.

Dirt in the system ??

All boiler manus may well claim that this is the most common cause of any faults that occur with there boilers ?? its an easy cop out , every thing is blamed on the good old c**p in the system excuse , fan failure . pcb failure :) ect water has to be drinking quality ?? :)

Or theres not enough inhibitor , or if there is its the wrong type !
There all a bunch of weasels as far as I am concerned, alot of there kit is not fit for purpose built in obcelesense in order to rip every one off on spares !

May be ? may be not ? there is a post in the CC today about one of there engineers who walked away from a 1 year old boiler under warranty !

Excuse could not get the analiser probe into flue elbow :D :D :D
You could'nt make it up really !

Oh dear!

I live in a council property and had my boiler serviced the other month by one of their contractors. His service consisted of taking off the front panel and turning on a hot tap, he could have done that with the front panel still attached! I noticed he had a Kane bag with him, I asked whether he was going to use what was in the bag, his reply "nah don't need to on this new boilers".

Oh no tightness test or gas rate either.

The boiler is a beautiful 24kw Ideal Isar.

i agree, no analyser needed, just a brush and dustpan and a stout rubble sack.

unless you are one of those people who think charging 3 times the price for a similar job is okay so long as the customer is mugged over.
Ha ha ha

Unless of course I am one of those people who knows that it takes the best part of a day just to properly clean an old system? And who knows that the major cause of failure of a new boiler on an old system is dirt and sediment from the pipes and radiators? And that this failure will not be covered by manufacturers warranty because it is an installation error? And who knows that boiler manufacturers will happily train and approve an installer without charge so that they can confidently offer a free extended warranty on any boiler he fits?

I am not a heating engineer, I am a householder.

Thanks for those pearls...

Who says anything about not cleaning the system properly? Who says that the outfit who are charging £2100+vat for a single engineer to do the job in a day isn't going to do a worse job than the chap saying he will do the job in a day for no more than £500?

You simply cannot know that for sure...and neither can I.

All I do know is that the same outfit who quoted £2100+vat to supply and fit a £750 (inc VAT) boiler charged me £345 at the end of August for a pcb and 1.5hrs labour...Then the boiler fails 2 months later for a fault that (IMHO) should have been mentioned when the service was done...after all, if I take my car to a main dealer I would expect them to point out, at least, that the radiator was about to fail whilst doing an annual inspection...
I know it isn't their fault if and when the rad (or heat exchanger) fails, but at least I would know as in "forewarned is forearmed".

I do know, though, that out of 10 or so firms/people I rang to get a quote for the job only two bothered to turn up at all...one was so busy (and so expensive) that he wouldn't quote at all...at least two others promised to call and didn't bother...

The chap who did come round is highly recommended by *consumers* who have used him. He also does mostly industrial heating and air conditioning work and doesn't supply the boiler at all...hence no mark-up on his supply and I'm free to choose any boiler I wish.

I was only asking for opinions on the models mentioned or recommendations (with links to reviews or posts praising the models) on alternatives...

So far, on here, there seems to be a Vaillant and GlowWorm preference...Another forum/review site has loads of negatives about the GlowWorm and seems to come down in favour of the Baxi...

I'm confused... :eek:

I have been looking at the Viessmann 100 compact. It seems to be a decent product and there is some concensus (though not universally so) that it is a bit better built than those you have listed.

Other people have recommended the intergas 18 ov which also looks very good but it seems to be less well known and so may be harder to get parts/servicing for as a result.

Hope that helps.

iep

Thanks for that...but Viessmann appear to be combis only...

wrong

the 100 compact is open vented conventional

...However the Compact is not a combi, so you will need a hot water cylinder with it....

they also make system boilers.

as for people being too busy, November is not a quiet time for anyone who repairs boilers.

Can't say we've had a particularly good experience with Remeha.

The Vaillant 4 series, as has been pointed out earlier, is a Glowworm inside. In my view it has a tacky, difficult to clean condense siphon and a PCB held in by a piece of string. The smaller ones can turn up fault codes in some situations because of poor software matching to restricted waterways in the heat exchanger.

In the OP situation I would probably go Viessmann or Worcester-Bosch. I would also look at the bloke with the cheaper price and ask him if he has a Powerflush machine and how he intends to make a decent job of it on a cold system.

I'm pleased so many of the householders here know how long a boiler install should take, I can obviously learn a few things. I expect they put their house up for sale with the agent who values it the highest.

Our experience is that a boiler change and a diligent Powerflush usually takes around 9hrs minimum, if it is easy. Usually considerably longer. 'Slash and burn' is always cheaper.

For those interested...

I made a descision yesterday and purchased a GlowWorm Ultracom 18HXi

I based this choice on:
a) advice I got on here and on other forums to go for a SS heat exchanger, b) the advice of the person who will be installing it,
c) the price
d) the recommendation of the Which? report and,
e) quite importantly, the availability...
The model chosen had to be available for delivery this week and had to be a direct replacement for my Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60.

Kinda ruled out the Viesseman (not a direct replacement and not available this week)
also the Worcester (ali heat exchanger)
the Vaillant (no one guaranteeing delivery)
which left the Baxi and GlowWorm...
I chose the GlowWorm because I was told that it is effectively the same as the Vaillant and it has a built-in timer and that will help as the old timer needed to be moved in any case...

FWIW, I spoke to the installer...he is going to flush the system and I've ordered inhibitor and flushing agent (both Fernox)...
He is expecting it to take at least 6 hours, depending on the flush/refill...

For those interested...

I made a descision yesterday and purchased a GlowWorm Ultracom 18HXi

I based this choice on:
a) advice I got on here and on other forums to go for a SS heat exchanger, b) the advice of the person who will be installing it,
c) the price
d) the recommendation of the Which? report and,
e) quite importantly, the availability...
The model chosen had to be available for delivery this week and had to be a direct replacement for my Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60.

Kinda ruled out the Viesseman (not a direct replacement and not available this week)
also the Worcester (ali heat exchanger)
the Vaillant (no one guaranteeing delivery)
which left the Baxi and GlowWorm...
I chose the GlowWorm because I was told that it is effectively the same as the Vaillant and it has a built-in timer and that will help as the old timer needed to be moved in any case...

FWIW, I spoke to the installer...he is going to flush the system and I've ordered inhibitor and flushing agent (both Fernox)...
He is expecting it to take at least 6 hours, depending on the flush/refill...

I hope that is not 6hrs total job, if so I think you should look out for his horse and cart :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back