Best Boiler brands...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has died....It is (was) a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 60...
system is an open vented conventional one with a hot water cylinder...runs radiators and hot water in a 3-bed semi.

For those that are interested, the cause of failure is a leaking heat exchanger that has leaked on and apparantly damaged the PCB.

Cost of the parts make the repair uneconomical and I've decided to go for a new condensing boiler...

Question is, out of these options which is the best:

Baxi Solo 18HE
Vaillant ecoTec Plus 418
Worcester Greenstar 18RI
GlowWorm Ultracom 18HXi

or feel free to suggest another brand/model...

From what I have read, there are equally good and bad reviews on all of these models...
They are all more or less the same price and they have more or less the same features and are of the same size...

Just which is likely to be more reliable and long-lasting?

I'm a bit shocked that my current Baxi is less than 11yrs old and has died...I've had an old Thorn boiler that, whilst being big, was over 30yrs old and had been ultra reliable for 20yrs I owned it....

Sponsored Links
I have been looking at the Viessmann 100 compact. It seems to be a decent product and there is some concensus (though not universally so) that it is a bit better built than those you have listed.

Other people have recommended the intergas 18 ov which also looks very good but it seems to be less well known and so may be harder to get parts/servicing for as a result.

Hope that helps.

iep

I have been looking at the Viessmann 100 compact. It seems to be a decent product and there is some concensus (though not universally so) that it is a bit better built than those you have listed.
yes I have one, I chose it because it has very few working parts, so should have little to go wrong; a long guarantee (provided you use an approved installer) and a stainless steel heat exchanger which is unlikely to go wrong or corrode (it has an extra-long guarantee anyway).

However the Compact is not a combi, so you will need a hot water cylinder with it.

It is very important to have an old, open-vented system thoroughly cleaned before installing a new boiler. If your old one is still going, you could add some X400 and let it run with that for a few weeks, it will loosen old sediment. You will probably still need a powerflush as well, though.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the OP wanted a combi. He/she described an open vent system and listed open vent condensing boilers.

Cheers,

iep

yes, and the Compact 100 is one, but I mentioned that because some people think new boiler = combi

OP has asked professionals to what they believe to be the best boiler brands, not boiler/system types.

Right...

I'm a "he"

System is an open-vented one and is going to remain so...Combis are not on the menu.

The installer is happy to fit any boiler make...it will be my choice, but he isn't approved by any manufacturer and, unless there is an approved installer willing to do the job for a similar price, I'm gonna stick with the one who was recommended and bothered to turn up for a look/quote. And yes, he is gas-safe registered.

I was quoted £2200 +vat to supply and fit a boiler by one of the larger and better known local companies...(who btw, serviced the old boiler in August, replaced the PCB and failed to even mention any impending issues when asked)...
The recommended chap has said he will do the job for £300-500 in a single day...Boiler is (give or take) £750 inc vat and delivery...

If you are all recommending other brands, can you provide some links to anecdotal evidence that they are worthy of consideration, especially given I haven't heard of most of those brands...

I'm leaning towards the Vaillant as both the quoters I have had, despite the wildly disparate pricing, both said they prefer that brand...
However Which? recommends the GlowWorm...

Oh, and the old system is totally dead...although the hot water immersion heater is still working (thank christ), and it was all working fairly efficiently prior to the boiler giving up....

I am happy to flush the system, but is this possible without a working boiler?

Here is my thread from last week which asks roughly the same question:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=248020&highlight=

In this thread there seemed to be general agreement that the Viessmann is a decent boiler and that the WB is pretty good too.

Personally, I liked the look of the Viessmann as it is apparently very easy to service (do a few searches on the forum for anecodtal info on this), is extremely efficient and can be easily set up with weather comp.

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/en/products/gas_fired_condensing/vitodens_100-w_compact.html

There was also some fairly convincing chat about the intergas 18 ov but I have not been able to find much anecdotal chat about its reliability.

iep

Any boiler is only as good as the system its attached to. If the water quality isnt good in the system it will need properly flushing which could take a day on its own to do properly.

As for boiler choices I would go for the Glowworm personally as I've fitted quite a few and used to carry out warranty visits to them, which was very rarely. its also the same boiler as the vaillant just cheaper with a different badge. The other products mentioned are also good, as is the viessmann, remeha and probably some others. most of the mainstream manufacturers have managed to make a reasonably reliable heat only boiler, lets face it , it shouldnt be that difficult.

Well out of the list of boilers in your post I would go with the Vaillant !
Vaillant have won awards for there boilers ? Than again so have Ravenheat :)
Some manus do not use direct labour for in warranty repairs , & under certai circumstances this can cause problems ??

Go for stainless steel heat exc

In my opinion , & as a general rule , boiler reliability is down the collective toilet , all (or most ?) are c**P , so its a question of picking the best of a bad bunch really !

All of these 5 year plus warrantys probably ?? don't amount to a bag of beans ? most manus will attempt to weasel there way out of any warranty & if they do not it probably is not for the want of trying ?

I think mickyg makes a good point. One of the main benefits of the heat only boiler is its relative simplicity.

Provided you are looking at a decent stainless heat exchanger and the system is clean, most will perform pretty well for years.

In which case, if you are happy that your installer knows his stuff, ask him what he recommends as he will most likely do a better job with a boiler he has installed/worked on before.

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back