Best boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the market for a new boiler and quite frankly it's a minefield for the uneducated. I'm in a 4 bed terrace with 13 radiators and 2 showers, a hot water tank but no cold water tank. We're not looking to move from this house so want a like for like replacement, decent boiler that will last.
What are the best makes, decent ones, and which ones should I avoid. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You might as well ask which is the best make of car, you will get endless answers from a variety of people.
The person quoting for your boiler will offer one (or sometimes a choice) that they regularly fit. When you have a few offers, with prices, come back for opinions on the ones that you have been offered.
Modern boilers are complex things that tend to last 10 to 15 years, not like some of the simple, solid older ones which could last much longer.

Reactions: CBW
On a gut level, this boiler might be good. It looks simple to me. The fact that a geeky guy has it suggests he did the work of finding a good one.

Sponsored Links
First find a local gas man with a good reputation as I managed to do a couple of years ago. They are invariably a far better bet than the likes of British Gas, they have to be because their reputation is important to their continuing in business. How? Ask the neighbours who have lived locally for a few years which is what I did. These guys usually know what's what and you can check for yourself buy going to review sites although personally I would stick with Vaillant or Veissmann.

Vaillant or Viessmann would be my only choices.

Also since you have two showers I'd get an unvented cylinder

Also since you have two showers I'd get an unvented cylinder
might already have one?
I'm in a 4 bed terrace with 13 radiators and 2 showers, a hot water tank but no cold water tank.
Heat only or system boiler would suit, or a combi piped and wired correctly. Plenty of choice and as mentioned, probably best sticking with high warranty boilers. Nothing wrong with Baxi, Vokera, Ideal, et al. As mentioned get a quote off a local independent engineer who is familiar with a boiler they fit.

I look at the boilers at work, most near or over 100 years old, but like the 500 year old axe, had some new heads, and new handles, but not both at same time, so although no part 500 year old the axe is considered that old.

Every 10 years boilers need a major strip down and test, but we stopped using boilers for central heating many years ago, they heat the water, but not to boiling point, so if not pressurised they don't require the same maintance. But the hotter the water the smaller the radiators can be, and water heaters seem to be working at lower and lower tempertures, so in some cases to use the better water heater would require changing radiators, in some case with a fan assisted type so they can heat and cool.

It does seem oil water heaters last a lot longer than gas, and are also cheaper to run, but can cost twice as much to buy, at work the boilers are solid fuel, and main problem is finding coal, the overts designed to replace coal don't seem to work very well, we may in the future have same problem with liquid and gas fuels.

So really no answer to the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back