Best brand of window fixing screws?

T

teaboyjim

Which is the best brand of window fixings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
GGF released a good practice guide that has several good points.

https://garrardwindows.co.uk/pdfs/W&D_Good_Practice_Guide-4ec42d0c5aa21.pdf

Some bits:

Fixings should be at least as corrosion resistant as BS EN 1670:1998, Grade 3. Lots of people also forget that connections to steel over 2mm thick should be into pre-tapped holes with machine screws or alternatively with power-driven hardened self-drilling screws.

Polyurethane foam may be used as a supplement to mechanical fixings but should not, under any circumstances, be used as the sole method of securing the entire frame into the reveal.

Last edited:
What would you say are the best brands? Rapierstar?

The selection of the correct fixing for material is probably more important than the brand.

Never used rapierstar but they look good.

Sponsored Links
We use very similar to Foxhole, not screwfix but one's available from a trade supplier, should come in varying sizes, our most common used size is 82mm

Not quite straight into masonry... You will need a 6mm ( if using 7.5 diameter) pilot hole in concrete block, brick and stone or they will just jam or crack the block/brick

Not quite straight into masonry... You will need a 6mm ( if using 7.5 diameter) pilot hole in concrete block, brick and stone or they will just jam or crack the block/brick
No shyt sherlock.
Sorry mate, but do we ALWAYS have to state the obvious?
Straight into masonry = no plug required.

This reminds me of some instructions on a railway phone: to make a call lift the receiver, then dial the number, etc...:rolleyes:

No shyt sherlock.
Sorry mate, but do we ALWAYS have to state the obvious?

To DIY users that have never had experience of these types of screws.... Yes we do need to state the obvious in my opinion I'm afraid. I've had one of these jam and rip the drill out of my hand, throwing the drill out the window across the car park... That was with a pilot hole, imagine someone not used to using them and that happening... They'd be blaming that bloke on the forum for not warning them lol. Unfortunately it's the culture we live in today

Last edited:
This reminds me of some instructions on a railway phone: to make a call lift the receiver, then dial the number, etc...:rolleyes:
Probably difficult to find a pay phone in a railway station now though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back