Best car tyre - value for Money - Michelin have done 66,000!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 1999 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Sport, the rear tyres need replacing, they are the original Michelin Energy from new which have done 66,000 miles.

I am amazed that the rear tyres have done 66,000 so I think of getting another set of Michelin Energy.

These are more expensive, but I think they are worth it. Would anyone else recommend a different brand which would last the same amount of time/mileage?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have found the Michelin Energy a very good tyre, and it scores well in "Which" tests (tell me the tyre size and car and I'll see if there is a recent report). Be careful that the supplier does not sell you a different type of Michelin, as the cheaper "Classic" is not as good. The Michelin "Pilot" is a very good tyre for faster cars, better than the Pirelli but rather expensive. Phone round a few suppliers to get the best price.

My main dealer will match tyre prices, which I like.

Thanks JohnD! I'll need to check the tyre size tonight. The car is a 1999 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Sport 5 door. I think they are 195/60/15 88 H.

Cheers.

Michelin energy are great tyres,our Zafira diesel has these.The fronts managed 40,000 miles.The rears were on 62,000 with 2.5mm left,when a monster screw killed one.Put the new(but 4 years old)spare on and bought one tyre.The later fronts are a slightly different pattern,more assymetric than originals,but local tyre dealer found one to match the spare,it's VR rated instead of HR but only £3 more. Size is 195/65 x 15 and I pay about £62 each.Wouldn't have anything else.

Sponsored Links
Try Costco for Michelins.....you have to join (but if you bulk buy everything is pretty cheap!), but they do Michelins cheap and fit and balance for a £1 (or they did last time I used them a year or two back)!

Good info pilotpete,are you a pilot or is that the tyres-u-like?We have a costco in derby,I have never been in it myself,although a lot of folks at work joined when costco came and did a presentation.Initially,when the place was being built,they advertised for members,but were definately aiming at professionals.My wife being a teacher could get in but myself being an engine testing type could not.They have had to revise their ideas now to get the customers in, but I still sort of have the hump because of their initial plans.Perhaps I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face?

yes2mud said:
Good info pilotpete,are you a pilot or is that the tyres-u-like?
I'm an airline pilot ;) But I like to do DIY on my days off.....like the feeling of producing something with my hands as opposed to just pulling and pushing! As for tyres, I buy Michelins because they are very good and Costco sell them cheap!!!!!

Thanks for that pete.So it's both then?
Michelins are definately brilliant all-rounder's,and we continue to use them too.Replacement fronts on the Zafira are up to 26000,with 4mm left.

Hello Pilotpete
Would you have any concerns as to which tyres you should use, (when at work), if you were to be flying in ,or out of Bristol airport I wonder ?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i got firestones on my hiace van rubbish in the wet but have just done 114k miles! getting them changed tommorow. i had Michelins on my clio and i was impressed with them but are difficult to get for my car 195/45/16"s so got toyo prox'ies on now, which are pretty good for the price.

Would you have any concerns as to which tyres you should use, (when at work), if you were to be flying in ,or out of Bristol airport I wonder ??
During the runway surfacing cock-up (sorry, works) I don't think tyre brand made any difference.... :LOL:

In the days before I could afford a decent car (when spending circa £55k on my pilots licence) I used Costo for tyres, then fitting Michelin's cheaper brand Kormoran. I had a Passat estate and didn't exactly drive hard, but they lasted 30k miles on the front! No noticeable downside, but as I said I wasn't looking for performance.

From what I understand the harder the compound the longer they will last, but the downside is usually wet performance......

Sponsored Links
Back