Best Chisel/tool to flatten concrete jutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to tile my bathroom. One wall must have once had a Boiler and the hole for the vent has been concreted in. This concrete is jutting out and there's no hope of a flat surface to Tile onto. What's the best solution to smoothing down this concrete

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture? It might be a disc cutter will do the job sufficiently, or a hammer & chisel, depending on the amount and depth of concrete to be removed.
You might need both.

Use a cold chisel

But a few blows with just a hammer will normally sort any protruding lumps out

Hello, are you sure it's concrete?!

I think you probably mean bonding, which does come in grey sometimes and so could be confused with concrete. Anyway, either way, you can't really "smooth it down" - unless it's only a small few mm protrudance, in which case an electric sander with P40 grade or lower should gradually do the job, you'll have to bash it out.

Sponsored Links
The hole can't be large, therefore can you knock it out and rewall it so the finish is level/plumb?

If not and assuming it is concrete can you get hold of a Kango type breaker with a spade attachment which will be quicker and easier than a hammer and bolster.

Hi all, thanks for the replys, the hole was large enough to be bricked in, it was the cement which was very roughly jutting out and what appears to have been a layer of polyfilla or one of those white cavity fillers generously dolloped on top. That was easy to get off, the ridges of cement I ended up cutting grooves in with an angle grinder and chiselling out. Not a professional job but it's flat enough to tile over now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back