Chiselling concrete floor

Sponsored Links
Yes, unlikely that the external walls of a 1930s property are on the slab - especially if part of the ground floor is timber.

But treament for sulphate attack is not just a floor renewal. It should involve removal of all the infill ash and some of the subsoil - one metre down is typical. If it is sulphate attack, then it will get progressively worse as the fill expands. It is dependant on ground moisture, so a wet season can give more movement.

I am surprised that you got a mortgage on it, as lenders generally refuse to lend on properties which may be affected unless they have either had the floors renewed and certificated, or had a test done to confirm that there is no ash fill at the property

Hi Woody
No mortgage - bought outright for cash from the local authority with a 40% discount - reckon they are glad to get shut of them.
At the time I had been living in the property for 2 years with no problem and thought that it wouldn't take 40% of the purchase price to put it right!
Oh well story of my life - caveat emptor - seems a fool and his money are soon parted!!!!!

Oh Granny

Hi Everyone
Been progressing this problem, seems that due to a recent amendment (think about August 2006), I don't need Planning Permission but do need Building Control Application for this job about £450 I think.
Going to be expensive to replace about 18 - 20 sq. metres - looking for someone to quote for the job.
I would like to replace it but if I it proves too expensive is there any way it can be repaired if it was levelled?
Can you inject chemicals through the concrete to help stop it crowning and is there any way to damp proof the concrete slab ?
Thanks
Granny

Sponsored Links
We are in the middle of purchasing a house with a possible defect concrete floor.
The valuer has asked that we get a concrete slab test done and this might mean the floor will need replacing!
They have asked for hte living room to be tested only and it didnt mention other areas. Does this mean it can be contained in one place?
Should we walk away or is it fixable and how much would it cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back