best combi for my bathroom spec?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 2 bed semi (3rd bed is now a big bathroom) My bathroom has two sinks, bidet, bath, shower.

My current boiler is a glowworm 30cxi, and I've had so many problems with it, i'm thinking instead of spending more money repairing it maybe just replace it?

When the boiler was working, my misses couldn't run a bath or really use the hot water taps while I was in shower, is there a decent boiler for the two of us that can cope with a shower, running a bath and maybe doing the washing up at the same time? :LOL:

Or maybe just a reliable boiler to fit this spec? i;ve seen the combi boiler thread that recommends a list, i'm looking at valiant at the moment, but for my spec should I just go for a cheaper, simpler model?

Any advice appreciated,

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately this is the problem of the normal combination boiler,if another tap is opened of course it will effect the flow of hot water,

The other thing is when recommending a combi one should check the flow rate ,the art if installing a heating system suitable for the client has gone,now dayss we have the combination boiler install crews get in and out in two days

If you really want a shower and not be effected by different taps opening then you need stored hot water,unvented if your mains flow allows or storage combi

personally i prefer unvented cyclinder which will have power shower performance any day of the week

I see mate, thanks for reply,

In that case should I just go for a reliable combi (just pick one from that recommended boiler thread) ?

I'm assuming each boiler has on its spec whether it can cater for a 2 bed house etc?

Really I just want one that doesn't mess up, right now I dont have hot water as theres now an error with the PCb apparently :(

There is someone here,who works for the vaillant group,he is bit like the A team if you can find him and he chooses to help you then im sure you he can sort this boiler out for you properly

Vaillant own glow worm by the way

Look for user called Dangermouse and if he has email account on his profile send him a message ,if he cant sort it properly then i dont know who can,best of luck :D

Sponsored Links
I see mate, thanks for reply,

In that case should I just go for a reliable combi (just pick one from that recommended boiler thread) ?

I'm assuming each boiler has on its spec whether it can cater for a 2 bed house etc?

Really I just want one that doesn't mess up, right now I dont have hot water as theres now an error with the PCb apparently :(

It'll depend on your definition of reliability. For most people it seems if the dependability they look for in a combi were available, this same question wouldn't be asked a few times each day.

if you want to fill a hot bath quickly, there is nothing to beat a vented cylinder and a cold water tank. Professional plumbers sneer at this old fashioned system. My hot bath tap delivers 21 litres of water a minute at 60C, and keeps doing it until the 120 litre cylinder runs cold, and the cold water tap can deliver the same amount of cold, at the same time. It is extremely unlikely that the water main supplying your house can deliver anything like this. The cylinder reheats from cold to hot in about 20 minutes.

I have a Heat-only boiler which has very few working parts inside it and this is one of the reasons why I do not expect it to go wrong often (though it is also a high-quality one).

BTW it is perfectly possible to have a combi boiler supplying e.g. a shower or sink tap with hot, and have the bath and other hot taps supplied from a cylinder which the same boiler heats. You can have cylinder and rads timed independently. This also means you have hot water from the immersion heater when the boiler breaks down (as combis often do). It is not often done because it is a bit more work than banging in a combi and going home to count the profit.

John i totally agree with your post a traditonal system has alot advantages,and now with unvented makes it even better.

A tradtional installer who has experience can set up these systems ,now days the new lads dont have clue and banging in combi's is the easiest way

Even the manufacturers are talking about certain skill is being lost,but luckily now with solar and renewables a variant of the traditonal system is back in vogue,no good to people who dont understand a simple y plan or s plan system though :p :p :p

4 bathrooms dont worry missus we will chuck you in combi for that!!!!! no need to waste any space in airing cupboard :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you want to fill a hot bath quickly, there is nothing to beat a cylinder and a cold water tank. Professional plumbers sneer at this old fashioned system.

It is not often done because it is a bit more work than banging in a combi and going home to count the profit.

Professionals prefer to install a proper CH & HW system. How do you conclude combis are more profitable?

Hi,

My current boiler is a glowworm 30cxi, and I've had so many problems with it, i'm thinking instead of spending more money repairing it maybe just replace it?

Thank you

There are many installers who like your boiler and recommend it as one of the cheaper combi boilers.

Has it really been unreliable as a result of the boiler itself?

Or was it just badly installed on a dirty system and the dirt has caused the problems?

Your boiler is 30 kW and there is little more power available in normal domestic boilers. No one should ever have suggested a combi would suit your needs. The mains water flow rate may be poor as well.

As suggested a cylinder is the only to use more than one hot outlet. A storage combi like the Vaillant 937 will give an enhanced flow rate for a short time. Useful for filling a bath quickly.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back