Best concrete for VERY heavy large wooden gates?

Sponsored Links
I daren't risk them shifting as kiddies will walk very close by them, plus a neighbours car and van will drive literally two foot away from them too.
A rammed earth post won't fall over, it's how large field gates are done

You mentioned there is a wall nearby Tara, see if you can attach the gatepost to the wall prehaps (depending on thickness of the wall etc) if its single skin I wouldnt bother.

https://ruby-group.co.uk/collections/gate-ironmongery/products/24-inch-adjustable-hinge-set
Yes that kit will work for you...

In my experience stronger the better for concrete when putting posts in. Ive not tried the rammed earth method but can imagine if farmers have the tools available they would go down this route for field access. yours sounds like its accessing something else like a yard but using field gates.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Blue-Circle-General-Purpose-Cement---25kg/p/224661

Go with 5 bags of this cement...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Ballast-Jumbo-Bag/p/220082

1 of these jumbo bags

If you run out of ballast then top it up with the smaller bags like below...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Ballast-Major---Bag/p/220111

I will say you can get it far cheaper and often with free delivery if using a local builders merchants. Wickes last time I checked needed an order of over £300 to qualify for free delivery. Try jewsons or travis perkins and maybe open up a cash trade account with them to get their free delivery.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
no expert but a wheel/castor on the other end of the gate would take a load off the post?

Buy a post hole digger. You gat a smaller hole with less solid disturbance than using a normal spade

Yep hole digger or sugar loaves as there sometimes known as.

Good idea about the wheel. you could make it a sliding gate and also use a castor wheel or a few for more added weight support.

You mentioned there is a wall nearby Tara, see if you can attach the gatepost to the wall prehaps (depending on thickness of the wall etc) if its single skin I wouldnt bother.

https://ruby-group.co.uk/collections/gate-ironmongery/products/24-inch-adjustable-hinge-set
Yes that kit will work for you...

In my experience stronger the better for concrete when putting posts in. Ive not tried the rammed earth method but can imagine if farmers have the tools available they would go down this route for field access. yours sounds like its accessing something else like a yard but using field gates.

Yes that's right, they are for the end of my driveway. I'm going to ask if they can tie the posts into the wall as back up, but they may not be able to drill through the huge boulders! It's worth a try though :)

no expert but a wheel/castor on the other end of the gate would take a load off the post?

Buy a post hole digger. You gat a smaller hole with less solid disturbance than using a normal spade

Thanks!
I'd thought about a wheel funny enough. I've seen them online and eBay with an adjustable tensioned spring, so that the wheel can go over uneven surfaces. They take up to 54 kilo weight.
My gates will open out onto a quite large-stoned lane, so ill see if it's feasible. I may have to dig out a semi circle track, though cars will soon have the stones drop back into the track.

I understand not wanting the ground disturbed, but I thought the bigger the hole / more concrete the better? :)

Yes and no

A reasonable sized hole is good but it is very hard to dig a deep hole that isn't too wide and surrounded by soft earth that allows movement ( which will get bigger)
The post hole digger allows a stable bank of earth to surround a deep hole

Thanks! I think the set I posted is complete though. At least I hope it is, as the two kits weren't cheap :(

The hanging sets weigh a ton! The large main bars / bands that hold the gates are very substantial which is good.
The gates were a great price, which made up for the expense of the sets. I looked at other gates in this style and they were poor in comparison, though would have been far lighter to put up :D

Yes and no

A reasonable sized hole is good but it is very hard to dig a deep hole that isn't too wide and surrounded by soft earth that allows movement ( which will get bigger)
The post hole digger allows a stable bank of earth to surround a deep hole

Ok, I'll look into one of those then. Thanks.

Just looked online and there are manual ones to buy at around £20, or motored ones to hire. Which did you mean?
The hire ones are around £85, and I could do without even more expense if the manual ones will do the job.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Just a £20 set does fine. A pointy stick or poker helps loosen soil at the bottom then using the post hole digger to extract the dirt keeps the sides stable. Even a garden trowel to did the base helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back