Best concrete mix for worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm going to be making a concrete worktop. I'm happy I've researched enough on the technique side but can't find much about the mix. I've had a chat with the technical guy at blue circle who was extremely helpful and suggested a 1-2-3 mix cement-sand-aggregate and suggested fine aggregate, around 1cm, and plasticiser, then vibrating the cr@p out of it. I shall do this with a hammer drill, a rounded-off bit and a steel plate from underneath the mold. I'm also going to be using steel reinforcing mesh and some rebar in the thin bits like around the sink.

One thing I'm not sure on - should I be using sharp or builder's sand? I've heard builder's sand may be slightly impure (may contain clay?) and thus the finished piece might not be as strong. However I've also read somewhere that cement using builders sand may 'flow' better, avoiding voids, and may help eliminate cracking. Any thoughts?

I did even wonder if a 1-1-1-3 mix might be worth trying -
1 part cement
1 part builders sand (or even plasterers sand maybe?)
1 part sharp sand
3 parts 10mm aggregate

I was thinking this might give a compromise between flowing and avoiding voids, and final part strength?

Sponsored Links
I've looked at this online (you tube) very interesting, here's the guy who's accredited with the start of this - www.concreteexchange.com/‎, or at least tutorial courses accredited to him. Ones a 1 day online course!...pinenot :)

I saw this before during my web trawling, looks very interesting! Unfortunately the cost of the tutorials are about my total cost for the project... ;)

Sponsored Links
All interesting stuff, thanks. The youtube video you posted seemed to be more of a concrete-covered worktop though. This is the 'real thing' though the guy presenting it seems to be a nut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmJr7cQlkQ

Still can't find anything on sharp/builders/plaster sand though. Might be worth another call to blue circle I think!

All artisans have an eccentric nuttiness about them. Have watched that clip about 10 times.

this you've got to see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fty2WcbYA_k[/QUOTE]
Good grief :eek:

Her way:

Screen_Hunter_128_Apr_07_08_06.jpg

Screen_Hunter_128_Apr_07_08_08.jpg

Screen_Hunter_128_Apr_07_08_09.jpg

Other ways:

Acid-Stained-Concrete-300x225.jpg

concreteLarge11.jpg

concrete-countertops.jpg

concrete-countertop.jpg

decorative-concrete-11-lg.jpg

ar136191705677605.jpg

black-decorative-concrete-coutertop.jpg

concrete-countertops-custom-stamp.jpg

:confused:

Yeah its something like the finish on a garage floor she achieved.
Though I bet she is dead proud of it. :LOL:

I wonder how long before water gets under it through these gaps and wrecks it?

Screen_Hunter_128_Apr_07_08_08.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back