Best course of action next? Basecoat & Plaster Patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently filled a couple of large holes with one coat plaster (using PVA as a key), then filled any smaller holes that I left behind.

I'm after some advice on what to do next. I would like to lay down a base coat to cover up some small dints, scratches, cracks etc on all walls (too many to fill). I'd also like to us it on the ceiling too.

Is there anything out there that could be used on this type of plaster and doest cost a fortune (£16 for 2.5L of B&Q basecoat - ouch)?

Or should I still use a diluted emulsion to seal the plaster and then basecoat the walls, if so with what?

I bought some of this stuff but havnt opened it yet as the reviews were poo:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sg=AFQjCNF9JqTyd6iRZdFxuzsUdHu4fYCTAw&cad=rja

any advice?

thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone had any good experiences with Polycell Basecoat? Could I maybe use that? I've read a lot of bad problems with this and plaster, but if I were to seal it first with watered down emulsion?

Don't use the stuff in the link.

Apply a thinned (30%) coat of emulsion to the walls, contract matt or similar is best.

This will show up all the flaws which you can fill. Rub down and spot prime (thinned matt again) and finish with two coats of whatever you like.

For me toupret are the best fillers, buy readymade or powdered which is cheaper, easifill is fine as well.

Easifill is ****.

Red Devil or wickes lightweight are both good.

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replys. Will a couple of coats of paint cover any if these mentioned fillers and the plaster patches without it showing through?

Spoken like a true intellectual, however i have rarely worked with decorators who don't have a bag to hand if needed and amongst the professional decorating fraternity its regarded as fine, not the best but adequate for the job proposed by the op, like i said toupret are the best, red devil is to expensive for this type of job, its not a bad filler, i used it for years but it seems to have changed somehow and has been superceded by better and not much good for deeper fills.

Toupret tx130 is bang on for this job

You spot prime to stop them showing through or flashing as its known

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back