best cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What it recommended for a house, as the best brand of lock cylinder? I have just bought my own house and want to change the locks before I move in.

Are Yale ok? I ask because B&Q sell them :LOL:

I'm doing front and back doors. Would you do this keyed alike or different? Are there any security benefits to having them different? I can gets packs of 2 keyed alike from B&Q.

Also, I need a padlock for the back gate. What is a good brand for padlocks that wont rust and seize? Budget of about £30.

I was tempted by those "car style" locks with the flat plastic handled key with "nibbles" out of it. But they were way out of my price range!

Sponsored Links
Wise move, buy house, change locks. It is something that always amazes me. People will tell me that the locks on their doors are the same ones from the people before and they have no idea who has the keys.
First look at your insurance cover. Insurance companies are normally asking for a lock that meets BS 3629 on your final exit door. This is normally a mortice lock such as the Chubb 3G114e. The £ 30.00 for a padlock seems a little over the top, look at the fittings. No point in fitting an expensive padlock if the the hasp and staple or whatever is only held on by four screws. The flat plastic keys look good but then try to get some extra keys cut.
Keyed alike, good, only one key to carry. Bad, should you loose a key then two cylinders to change.
Best advice, go to your local locksmith shop and enquire.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

As above - your local locksmith should be able to advise on suitable replacements, plus you'll pay over the odds for cylinders from the sheds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back