Euro cylinder locks

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new house has a four external doors, all with different keys. A locksmith suggested that I replace all the old locks (which are a bit sticky) with new ones featuring euro cylinder barrels.

The locks seem reasonably priced (about £10 than a traditional mortice) but he wants £30 per keyed-alike cylinder. Does this seem resonable? Some online shops are selling these for as little as £30 for a pack of five.

Also, what is the security like with these locks?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
I can buy euro cylinders from as little as £ 1.00 and up over £ 50.00. There is a reason: the £ 1.00 cylinders are rubbish. It is one of lifes lessons quickly learnt you pay for what you get.
Ask for the brand of cylinder that he is recommending.
The plus point of keyed alike is that it is easy use, you know where the key is.
The down side loose or have your keys stolen then new cylinders all round.
DC77
Teamlocksmiths

Buy online, have them shipped to an alternative address. I just bought 2 Asec cylinders, keyed alike, came with 3 keys. Fitted them myself. Thing with buying online is YOU know what your getting - your not just getting what your locksmith thinks you need. There are so many different cylinders available. And so many sizes too.

First thing I will suggest you do is to remove the cylinder and measure the length both ends, from the edge of the cam (NOT from the screw hole). Some locks are not available in larger sizes.

Good advice, thanks guys. I take it that Asec is a good brand? Can you recommend any other brands that are decent? Do't worry I'd never have cylinders shipped to my home address.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
you do not say if your existing locks are Eurocylinder type.

If not, then bear in mind that you can get proper, 5-lever, British-Standard locks as required by your insurance company, suited to the same key for some pounds extra. I have suited Chubbs on the three external locks at the back of my house, so I only need one key.

As regards losing keys, or having them stolen, your insurance company will probably cheefully pay for replacement locks, or having them rekeyed.

IMO they are far more reliable and long-lived than cylinder locks, as well as being resistant to some of the less skilled methods of forced entry.

BTW all the doors except your Final Exit Door should have key-operated rackbolts top and bottom. Cheap and easy to install on wooden doors.

If you have rubbish plastic doors them you are probably doomed to rubbish locks as well.

Hi JohnD. I currently have a variety of different locks. All about 30 years old and none conforming to the current standard form factor for mortice or sash/case locks.

Most are 5 or seven lever mortice, the only exception is the euro cylinder on the conservatory that was added about 15 years ago.

All doors are wooden and in good condition.

I originally planned to go with the solution you suggested (matched 5 lever mortice locks) but the locksmith/seller was very keen to sell me the euro cylinder solution (paired up with approriate mortice cases for each door).

Given that I don't 'need' to use the euro cylinder solution, is the consensus that it is better avoided?

I assume you only suggest using the key operated rack bolts when you are away for extended periods?

Cheers,

iep

BS lever locks are better than cylinder locks (there are a very few, very expensive, cylinder locks that meet the BS).

There are slight variations available in size of lock cases, so there may be a brand that is the same, or nearly the same, size as the mortice in all, most, or some of your doors. For example they are availble in about two and half inch, and about three inches,to your choice, from the better makers, and can still be suited to the same key. They are generally thicker-cased than internal or 3-lever locks

No, I am suggesting using the key operated ratchet bolts when you are not using the doors. Unless you use them every day, you can leave them locked and bolted. If one of them is a back door you use multiple times a day, lock and bolt it when you leave the house or retire for the night.

Do not leave the keys in the keyhole.

BTW you do not need to have the front door, or final exit door, suited to the same key as all the others, as this is the only one that you need to take with you when you leave the house.

Call me a ludite, but I think I like the idea of a nice 5 lever mortice better than a euro cylinder (what do the europeans know about locks anyway?).

I'll investigate the BS 5 lever options a bit more.

Cheers,

iep

I always use Chubbs (the older heavy case design) in my own house, but in a recent Which report the red-cased BS Union lock came out as a best buy, and is far cheaper.

Edited:
Found the review - it was Jan 2007

Best buys:
Two top scorers, both scored 83% in tests:
Ingersoll London Line SC110 at £165
Union J-2134e at £27
guess which one I got for my friend's flat

The top Eurocylinder (no lock case) was a Chubb at £52, closely followed by equal-scoring Mul-T-lock at £72 and Zone at £12

sometimes you don't get what you pay for

• Thanks
Reactions: iep
Ingersoll rand make good euro locks, but they are very very expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back