Best drill bits for stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved house and now have a large stone shed. I need to get going putting up some shelves, but my current bits won't penetrate the stone. I would welcome suggestions of good masonry bits to buy.

Sponsored Links
depends on the type of stone, if flint ( my nemesis) then you're in a world of pain :(

Depending on the type, granite can be not much better (even with an SDS drill)

Sponsored Links
Not really a good idea using any percussive action on flint, it has similar properties to a lump of tempered glass :( it is a nightmare to drill into.

Diamond bits without hammer action on flint?

On a pure lump of flint, yeah something like that, slow and expensive. On a flint aggregate mortar, then, well God help you, bits wander all over the place. :( pure hell.

On a pure lump of flint, yeah something like that, slow and expensive. On a flint aggregate mortar, then, well God help you, bits wander all over the place. :( pure hell.

Have you tried bits for the angle grinder?

If you just want a recommendation of a drill make, Makita or Bosch are very good, with maybe Hilti at the top....SDS is the type of drill you need.
John :)

I think it is probably slate, with some quartz in it too. There is flint locally, but I am not sure whether any has been used in the stone shed. I just need to source some good bits, as i already have an SDS drill.

I think it is probably slate, with some quartz in it too. There is flint locally, but I am not sure whether any has been used in the stone shed. I just need to source some good bits, as i already have an SDS drill.

Well my pick is Dewalt extreme2 SDS. Others have their favourites which are probably just as good.

Well my pick is Dewalt extreme2 SDS. Others have their favourites which are probably just as good.

Got to agree with Eddie, if you already have an SDS then its another vote for dewalt extreme bits, probably the best bits I've used

Got to agree with Eddie, if you already have an SDS then its another vote for dewalt extreme bits, probably the best bits I've used

I've been using them for a while after I got tired of splashing on Hilti bits and they do seem to last a hell of a long time. I do prefer quad point bits but in this instance there's little need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back