Best dust sheets advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to embark on some major scale decorating at home. I hate painting, but its gotta be done. A problem I have had in the past is with dust sheets - cotton ones lay nicely and dont move around on carpets, but once or twice I have walked on small paint spills, and noticed it soaked thru to the carpet underneath.

What do you pros use on the floor? Do you put plastic down with dust sheets on top? Years ago I had a cotton one backed with plastic, but it was really stiff and was a bit rubbish for those awkward corners etc.

All advice very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the fast reply. So what stops the paint being pushed thru the twill when I walk on it? Is it down to the thickness of the cotton? I take it they come in different grades?

I often use cheap blue tarp for paint critical situations.

Sponsored Links
I often use cheap blue tarp for paint critical situations.

Aren't they all critical?! I tried using a plastic sheet and found that I just walked all the paint I spilled all over the sheet! I know, I shouldnt be dropping so many spatters, but its not something i am doing every day so I am not a pro at it.

I will check out some plastic-backed sheeting next time near Q&B

The ones recommended by ic1927 are good. They are more pliable than the ones you tried but they will degrade quickly, depending on the traffic levels.

Incidentally they are also cut into smaller sizes and sold as puppy training mats.

I dont like separate poly sheets under cotton as they slide too much.

Heavy duty cotton twill, available at most outlets.
Any recommendations for brand and/or retailer?

I've got some of the traditional ones like that, and wanted to get a couple more, but when I looked in B&Q the other day (hangs head in shame, ritually urinates on own shoes in penance) the ones they sell are (my, what a ******* surprise) much cheaper and nastier than they used to be, and have become virtually cheesecloth.

I use cotton dust sheets that are laminated on one side, nothing can soak through these.
I saw those, and thought they'd be handy for the treading on a paint splat problem, but I wondered how slippery they are, and also, now I've read the OP I wonder if they would be too stiff.

Heavy duty cotton twill, available at most outlets.
Any recommendations for brand and/or retailer?

I've got some of the traditional ones like that...but when I looked in B&Q the other day, the ones they sell are much cheaper and nastier than they used to be, and have become virtually cheesecloth.

I've noticed that too, and even the Decorator's merchants around me sell the same cheap, see through things, as do Screwfix and the like.
Hope someone can point you (and me) to the decent closer knit ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back