Best Dust Sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Newbie here. I love doing it myself, but I am rubbish. Having just put a minor scratch in my shiny bath while removing some of the cracked wall tiles (which I think I can sneakily hide with enamel miniature paint) I reckon my dust sheet is as rubbish as I am.

What do the chaps use as dust sheets? I'm thinking of getting one of those smartprice duvets from ASDA since it would have some cushioning and protect the bath better than the pvc thing I was using. Also what do you use to pin it in the corners of the bath? I was using a couple of 4lb sledgehammers but the bugger still slipped around.

Diy Fail :)

Anyway, it's all good fun. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Tend to use cotton or other woven dustsheets, which when I wish to ensure full coverage I use gaffer tape to hold in place.

Old duvet covers, curtains, sheets etc.

Masking tape/gaffer tape to stick where needed.

I recently got a cotton dust sheet from Toolstation - it was branded Silverline.

There is probably a trades description issue here, as the word "sheet" should be substituted for "net".

It catches particles of dust greater than 10mm wide, but anything less gets through no problem. :rolleyes:

Avoid these as you would a sneezing pig

Sponsored Links
If I'm knocking off tiles over a bathtub or laminate worktop, I would put something like a bit of 6mm ply down first.

Anything branded "Silverline" is generally to be avoided or treated as disposable :D

Cut a piece of plywood to get the best fit you can and then use cotton twill dust sheets to cover taps and any exposed areas of the bath. Brewers have some good quality dust sheets in various sizes, some of which come with a polythene backing to prevent paint seeping through.

For what it's worth, based on feedback in here I found cotton sheets and PVC were equally effective at preventing paint splatter, but nothing could match foam floor underlay to dampen hardcore damage (or be equally as rubbish as preventing paint damage).

Plywood would have obviously done both (with gaffer tape around the edge, just like the above need) but I didn't have any..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back