Foamed PVC sheet for shed door help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With this cold weather here I thought I would have a go at insulating the shed door.

My idea is to staple a layer of insulating foil on the inside then screw a sheet of foamed PVC over the top.
The foil will stick out slightly around the edges to act as a draught excluder as well as add some insulation to the inside of the door.

If this works I was then going to do the walls and roof.

Foamed PVC sheets are used in sign making but I wondered what people think of using it as a thin cladding?
Here is an example of the sheets I am thinking of trying http://www.plasticstockist.com/Foamed-PVC-Sheet/White-Matt-Foamed-Pvc-Sheet.aspx

Thanks for looking
Bern

Sponsored Links
Looks like an expensive way to do an inefective job to me.

25 or 50mm polystyrene sheet will do a much better job for less money.

How do you heat this shed, and how are the walls and roof insulated?

Thank you for these replies. Sorry for the delay in replying I've been away for a couple of days.
NTB,
If I went that route would I need to put a moisture barrier on the walls and ceiling?

JohnD
We have just moved in so I am trying to do a quick and simple job as there are others higher up the priority list.

The shed is attached to the house.
Shed = single thickness brick walls with a flat roof (board and felt).

There is a gas boiler in the shed which heats the house.
I have put foam insulation wrap on all the pipes as the frost therm kept turning the central heating on every hour of the night.

The door of the shed is a very loose fit.
I have stapled on some thick thermal foil sheet and kept an air gap (no air brick in the walls) so the pilot light will keep burning.

I agree thick Kingspan or similar would be ideal but for now I'm looking for a relatively simple but decent looking solution.

Bern

Sponsored Links
If there is a boiler in there, I would look at insulating the ceiling first, as heat loss will be greatest.

Also some draughtproofing on the door. The Brush Pile strip is very good for irregular gaps.

JohnD,
Thank you.
That sounds like a good start.
I'll have a look at some Brush Pile strip.

If I go with thick thermal foil I assume I should staple it to the joists and not the roofing boards to I keep an air gap in the ceiling?

Bern

there may be a risk of condensation on the cold roofing sheet. If it is a bit gappy round the edges of the old roof, to ventilate the void, seal the insulating "ceiling" as well as you can.

JohnD,

The roof is nice and tight / no gaps or water coming in. So this weekend I'll get cracking on the ceiling with some foil, foil tape and a staple gun.

I will also have to relocate the light as I have noticed the fitting is screwed onto the vertical face of a joist which means that currently if I were to put the foil up it would cover the light bulb.
(I'll move it to the horizontal face of the joist and cut around it).

Thank you for all your help,

Bern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back