cheap insulation for shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10ft x 10ft shed that i work most nights in rebuilding a motorbike (mrs has refused me access to the house with bike bits)

The shed is made from t&g shiplap. i have clad the inside of the shed with sheets of 10mm mdf, which has stopped any draughts, but i now have voids in between each of the joists (the vertical lengths of wood along the walls)

i was thinking of removing all the mdf an stapling bubblewrap then putting the mdf back on

or

filling the spaces behind the mdf sheets with foam pellets?

ideally i dont want to spend alot as im told the shed has to go in a year or so when we get an extension built

hope all this makes sense

thanks

Sponsored Links
What bike dude? (I know it’s not on topic but I’m nosey). :D

I’ve got a VSTROM. 8.5 years old & 62,000 miles I’ve done from new.
action-smiley-083.gif

Oh, here’s on topic... In a program I saw, I think it was grand designs, they used hay
grinning-smiley-004.gif
It’s cheap and has wonderful insulating properties. There were other advantages too, but I can’t remember them now.
action-smiley-034.gif

So maybe stuff a load of that in between. :idea:

Well there's a right way and a cheap way,
As you'll be knocking it down shortly I'd go cheap(!)

What do you already have? If you have a load of bubblewrap then go for it.

General rule is that solid insulation or plasticy stuff (bubblewrap) should have airgaps etc for condensation.

If you have nothing go for the cheapest fiberous stuff,
It's only really to take the edge off anyway isn't it?
Then when you rip the shed down, bung it up your attic.

As already asked above, what bike?!

I'm currently building the man shed for my fleet:
CBR900RR, VFR750RC24 (x2), Z750
I'll be experimenting with a solid filled, sealed void with no air gap (sacralige!).

I had the Z750 twin, (P reg 360 deg crank), and 750 4 cylinder Kwack L1. (The first 750 with 1,000 cc like performance).

Soz for drift. In the same way a biker cop is a biker first and cop second, I'm a biker first and a DIYnot member second. :D

Sponsored Links
ahh cheers for the suggestions all

i have "borrowed" a roll of 1.5mm foam, that my work use to wrap fragile items. it looks very similar to the cheap insulation for laminate?

the bike isn't that exciting really, its a 600 Bandit, that i got for basically nowt (£100 :eek: ) callipers are seized - general rust...tidy up

i finished rebuilding a CG in the summer, an just fancied another project

CG

Bandit

I had a CB125 in the late 70s :D Got it for £10 off a work colleague's back garden. It was a rat bike for the winters. Unburstable engine! The CG came out afterwards. I think, if memory serves me well, it was a push rod engine instead.

Ahh memories... :)

If the shed is coming down in a year then I'd simply screw sheets of insulation board or thin cleotex on the inside face of your mdf lining then as said reuse the insulation for something else. Cheapish quick and simple. As you have some thin foam stuff just staple that on the inside of the mdf , I really wouldn't go to the fuss of taking down the lining.

Any bubble wrap or insulation 3mm is waste of time. Look out for some left over celotex or kingspan on ebay near to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back