Shiplap Shed, to battern or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a substantial shed, 16x8, have built the frames from 3x2 on 16" inch centres or thereabouts to match the 6x4 OSB3 sheets. I am thinking of the cladding now but read a couple of posts where the builders proposed batterning the OSB before attaching the shiplap. I was going to attach the shiplap direct to OSB, nailing through to the 3x2 frames. There is nearly 500' of studwork timber available, why attach some 2x1(?) batterns??

Sponsored Links
Much better to leave a gap for air ciculation. It will stop condensation form forming in the very tight gap between shiplap and osb.

If you are insulating the shed you could use breather membrane over the osb, batten then shiplap.

How are you detailing it on the inside?

Thanks for the answer about an air gap.
I was just going to board it with OSB on the inside too for neatness, with some good quality shed paint. I am impressed by how well Johnstone's Trade Workworks renovated a dilapidated summer house and has hardly weathered over the last 2 years. Not too worried about insulation. It is just for tool storage and some wood-working in the warmer months. I have a different inside hobby for the winter months!

I asked because if your boarding the inside then you could get away with just a breather membrane and battens anc cladding on the outside.

The exterior osb is there to give rigidity to the whole structure but if your doing the inside direct to the studs then you could omit the exterior osb if you wish.

Sponsored Links
osb3 will be fine to go direct as its not osb2 but ext grade battons will be better for your circulation

Thanks for further information.
The OSB3 is here now so I will board inside and out. I have checked the cost of breather membrane. Not going to add much to cost of project. i want this shed to last so I will go with batterns and airgap, so does that imply just vertical batterns with a horizontal gaps at bottom, top and around air vents so that air can easily get behind the shiplap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back