Sheathing for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to build a new shed and I am looking into options for cladding.

Frame will be made of 3x2 CLS, overall size of shed is 12ft by 7ft.

My previous shed was feather edge board nailed directly to the frame, which worked and was surprisingly watertight, but my main concern with this new shed is security, so I'm thinking of adding a layer of 'sheathing' (probably OSB), to make getting in a bit more complicated than just popping off a few bits of featheredge.

Not entirely sure how to approach this. The way I see it, there are two options:

- sheath the outside of the frame with OSB, add a damp proof membrane of some sort, put batons on top of the DPM and nail my featheredge to these (possibly more watertight)

- nail featheredge direct to frame, as before, and put the boarding on the inside instead (this has the advantage that I can add insulation in between the studs)

Which of these two options would be better? Maybe neither - am I way off track?

Budget is a concern too, but should I maybe be looking at T&G/shiplap instead?

Ta :)

Sponsored Links
- nail featheredge direct to frame, as before, and put the boarding on the inside instead (this has the advantage that I can add insulation in between the studs)
This, but with a breathable membrane on the outside of the studs behind the battens, depending on the direction of your featheredge you may need counter battens to ensure the battens immediately next to the membrane are vertical and thus allow any rain that gets past the cladding can drain out freely. Something like this would be fine: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROMAR-Brea...3A54e20c5015a0a78546285093fff13c29%7Ciid%3A15

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back