FENCING - Screws or Nails??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Have posted in the TOOLS AND MATERIALS section in relation to my intended purchase of a nailer for numerous projects.

Garden-wise, I have two projects - fencing (featheredge) and a shed (shiplap)

On the subject of fencing, whilst researching nailers, I came across a lot of information suggesting that screws may be better than nails for the fencing.

I will be purchasing a nailer anyway (for other projects if not for the fencing etc.) but wanted to know your expert views on whether SS screws were better than nails for attaching the featheredge to the arris rails.

If they ARE then do they need a pilot hole to prevent them splitting the wood?

Thanks in advance.

B

Sponsored Links
Nails - screws are way over the top in my view. Just replaced 120' of featheredge in my garden. The old fence was at least 40 years old and the nails were still holding on.

Those nails used in pallets are strong, I break lots of pallets for fire wood & those serrated nails are so strong, don't know what they are called.

Sponsored Links
Those nails used in pallets are strong, I break lots of pallets for fire wood & those serrated nails are so strong, don't know what they are called.

The trick is to cut up the pallet around the nails, and collect the nails from the grate afterwards.

Cheers
Richard

Yeah, depends on the fence, but I have basically only nailed. Even for post and rail fences, you just use the bit 100mm galv nails....

Only exception is bodging panel fencing that is time expired, where nailing it would totally shagg the job but odd screws can get another 18months life out of the dam things.

Daniel

The trick is to cut up the pallet around the nails, and collect the nails from the grate afterwards.

Cheers
Richard

I do, then I reuse the nails, (yes they are a bit soft)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back