Featheredge cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
I've built a 4.5m x 2.5m shed / workshop in my garden. I've battened it and now is the best bit....cladding with 175mm featheredge.
There seems to be lots of conflicting information about how much overlap and how many nails through each board. So:
  1. For 175mm featheredge (from Travis Perkins) how much overlap?
  2. Should each board get one or two nails? This worries me becuase of the cupping / warping issue.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Gossamer, good evening.

As for how many nails per board, this will depend on the quality of the board, my preference is 2

To try to reduce warping try and stain / decorate ALL SURFACES before fixing, this also assists a bit when the boards dry out, less unpainted surfaces are visible.

Overlap ? a lot depends on the height you are trying to clad and the overlap can at times be determined by the overall height divided by the height of the board minus [the tricky bit] between 10.mm and 20.mm per board. Again a lot depends on the board quality?

Ken

i personally prefer 1 nail thick edge tap the nail through 10mm about 20mm from the edge then rest on the thin top edge underneath to pinch it then drive home

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
I started and have gone for 40mm overlap to hopefully not get gaps when they dry. The boards were mostly very wet so erred on the side of caution.
Have been nailing through each board in two places. Hopefully that means they wont warp....but they might split!!!

I've used one nail per board and piloted first to avoid splitting (larch). Try not to put the nail through the board and the board underneath it, to allow for movement and avoid splitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back