Best/Easiest way to build horizontal fence with no gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer horizontal fences to vertical.

I need to build one soon but I don’t want any gaps. I also dont want a hit and miss fence.

Tongue and groove would be ideal but I read it will be a bad idea and warp over time. Even though you can buy tongue and groove panels? And that sheds can have t&g cladding so am surprised by people saying it’s a bad idea.

Many overlap I see on fences and sheds seem thin and warped and introduce gaps so that’s not good.

I thought instead of nailing the tongue and groove to the posts I could nail two battens on each post with a gap in between and slide the tongue and groove down, just nail the bottom ones and maybe expansion will occur ok with no warping. But am concerned they’d rattle in the wind unless the battens hold them in tight enough. Easier to replace boards then too if need be.

Or I could just use 22mm x 150mm timber with gaps and trim them from behind covering the gaps. I built a screen recently with 22x150 and it must have been wet as the gaps are much bigger now but I haven’t covered the gaps from behind on this one but though maybe I could - just screw a trim to each board covering the gaps

Anyone have any advice please as I can’t find much info about this online.

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As I’m doing it myself and to satisfy neighbours (getting rid of my leylandii hedge to stop their complaints!) then I’d like regular treated timber from my local merchant to keep costs down.

I’m thinking worse case just use 1x4 and trim behind any gaps.

Would nailing down t&g cladding stop warping? I’m also thinking a sturdy frame like my shed then clad with 14mm t&g and lots of nails. My shed looks nice with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back