best extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my 3 year old vent axia extractor fan is starting to pack in, it runs but its very slow and not clearing the condensation quick enough. I have tried cleaning it but it makes no difference, the pcb is blackened near a big resistor and was pretty hot on inspection.

So I am looking for a more powerful better quality fan, the previous fan used to be a greenwood airvac R90 something? I never used had that on but I rather foolishly replaced it because i didn't think it had a timer.

Are greenwood airvac good or better than my current one? should I buy another one of them if they are availiable? are there better fans out there?

the size of the fan is 215mmx215mm basically a square fan:LOL:.
cheers

Sponsored Links
... it runs but its very slow and not clearing the condensation quick enough ...
As a comment, once condensation has formed it will take a very long time for it to 'clear', even if there is a powerful fan operating. The hope is that an adequate fan will remove moist air before it has had a chance to cause condensation - even though most fans are not as good at that as is opening a window (if that is possible)!

Kind Regards, John

Ventaxia and xpelair for years were the main market leaders and most costly.
Along came Manrose, Greenwood, Silavent, Airflow, amongst others that are more a Budget price and likely as good quality nowadays.
Its possible they also make some of the unbranded ones too
Most fans will state Air changes per hour to compare by.
Sounds like you have a 150mm, 6 inch fan

Last edited:
it runs but its very slow and not clearing the condensation quick enough.
What do you call "quick enough"?

Indeed, what do you call "condensation"?

If it is a slight misting when someone has a bath and it disappears in, say, half an hour, with or without a fan, then that is no problem and just how the world works.
If you get water running down the walls and puddles on the floor, when the bath/shower is not being used then no fan will help and you have more fundamental problems.

Sponsored Links
the walls are slightly damp and have drip marks near the top and no its not dampness in the walls. Is greenwood any good? Ideally I would like a fan with a humidistat as well as the timer, not essential but ideally so it can come on without the light if need be.

cheers

Does it fit to a hole in the wall? Or a duct?

What diameter?

Does it (or did the old one) come on with the light switch and run on for a while after you turn the light off?

What diameter?
As has been said, with a 215 mm square front, it is almost certainly a 6" fan.
Does it (or did the old one) come on with the light switch and run on for a while after you turn the light off?
It would seem so ....
...Ideally I would like a fan with a humidistat as well as the timer, not essential but ideally so it can come on without the light if need be.

Kind Regards, John

is the greenwood airvac R90T any good? will it do the job? Its not a big shower room its only 2m by 1.5m, and ceiling height is 2.4m if that helps.
cheers

What are we talking about here. More importantly where. Is it bathroom, kitchen, distillery, chicken breeding house, what?

What size room, what are the extract requierments in m³/hour. What is the duct size, type and run.

Need information or any reply is worthless. Just saying.

Merry Christmas, Bah Humbug.

so it's a small shower room, it's probably a 150mm hole but we don't know for sure; it might be in the wall but could be in the ceiling, and there is a live and permanent live so it can have a timer. It might be high enough to be outside zones. We don't know if there's a duct or how long it is.

The brand of fan is not the most important point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back