Best finish for oak front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice please....

Just received my new engineered oak front door and i'm wondering what to protect it with. I would really like to keep it fairly natural looking, not too shiny! we have oak worktops in the kitchen, they are oiled with normal worktop oil. Something similar to this is what i'm aiming for although I appreciate that its going to need to be tougher than worktop oil!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Some work tops get a lot more abuse than
Doors, main problem with engineered doors is accurate fitting and sealing all round or they will expand and fail.

I used International Yacht clear satin varnish on mine. Three coats very lightly sanded between. Was originally wary of using varnish but it looks stunning

Sponsored Links
My original 1928 oak door has become black with age and about 20 years ago I sanded it down but it is somewhat cracked where people have tried to break in.

Presumably the only option is to have something made specially as its not a standard size and a cost of about £2000 ?

Its not very strong now and I did plan to line it with 18 mm ply to make it strong enough. Then perhaps sand it again.

Presumably black oak doors are only for churches or castles and a house should have an oak coloured door?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back