Best matt varnish for kitchen worktop??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have nice new untreated oak kitchen worktops.

I do not want to oil them as oil turns the oak yellow, is not fully water proof, needs constant maintenance, and with each coat, builds up over time to give a shiny messy orange surface.

I am going down the water based varnish route. Lovers of oil, please don’t try and persuade me otherwise.

My floor varnish in my living room (Bona Mega Matt) has withstood extreme abuse/use and still looks great after three years. I like the finish and it seems really tough stuff.

Does anyone have any experience/advice of using Bona Mega or Bona Traffic as a worktop surface?
Anyone have an opinion as to any other suitable matt varnish for worktops.

Please no oil chat.

Thanks
Toby

Sponsored Links
Toby..
Sounds like you know enough about the effect of any treatment on new oak. All treatments will colour the oak to some degree with the exception of Bona. Great product but expensive. Designed firstly for floors but I have used Bona Natural on many oak projects including many counter tops and it is a first class product.

I have nice new untreated oak kitchen worktops.

I do not want to oil them as oil turns the oak yellow, is not fully water proof, needs constant maintenance, and with each coat, builds up over time to give a shiny messy orange surface.

I am going down the water based varnish route. Lovers of oil, please don’t try and persuade me otherwise.

My floor varnish in my living room (Bona Mega Matt) has withstood extreme abuse/use and still looks great after three years. I like the finish and it seems really tough stuff.

Does anyone have any experience/advice of using Bona Mega or Bona Traffic as a worktop surface?
Anyone have an opinion as to any other suitable matt varnish for worktops.

Please no oil chat.

Thanks
Toby

Thanks diyalcovecabinets1

I was pretty confident that Bona would work for worktops as it is so tough on floors and it does not yellow. I think I just wanted to hear that someone else had tried it first and that I was not ploughing a lone DIY furrow...

I am going to use Bona Traffic as this is their latest product produced for extreme foot traffic. Should work a treat on worktops (fingers crossed).

Quick question diyalcovecabinets1,

I will ask Bona direct, but do you happen to know whether Bona varnish can be applied onto wood that has been stained?

I want to use colron wood dye.

thanks
t

Sponsored Links
I used Top oil, does not yellow, does not require constant maintenance, does not build up as it soaks into the wood, does not crack and peel like varnish can and is not affected by cuts and heat like varnish.

Hi,

did you use Bona Mega Matt in the end? How did it look, were you happy with the results?

Mark

kitchen is being delivered in a few weeks. I will report back when I have applied it.
t

If anyone is interested, Bona Mega matt has been on my worktop for a few months now.

So far so good.

Impressed with the durability of it and the look is great. Vast improvement over Danish oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back