Where Can I Buy a Solid Oak Worktop OnLine?

No, there's no beading in the picture ! Just masking tape to protect the worktop and a 4mm spacer ! These came off later and a clear bead of low modulous silicone was applied to fill the gap & waterproof it....

No, Iroko is African......sometimes called African Teak.....as it has similar oily, water resistant properties.....

Sponsored Links
BTW.....Iroko's cheaper !

.......and a 1/4" router would happily do those jobs you mentioned.....though you'd need a 1/2" for use on worktops.....it's a whole new world !!!!! :LOL:

^^ Can I get one to do both 1/2 and 1/4's then? Indeed it is Mike, keeps cropping up so I guess I should add one to my collection!

Well, yes you can buy a router that will take 1/2" and 1/4" cutters. If you're thinking of buying one, there are a couple of good routing for beginners books that'll explain the various types, and what they can do, and save me a whole lotta stammering and stuttering trying to explain :LOL:

Routing for Beginners by Anthony Bailey
or
Router Fundamentals by Rick Peters

These will get you started & up to speed pretty quickly. You'll need something like this, as the manual that comes with the router you finally purchase will pretty much tell you only how to turn it on and off !

(....bloody noisy, dusty things that they are......)

Sponsored Links
Northbeach said:
Personally I'd recommend Iroko - it is a naturally oily timber and resistant to water - in fact one of it's uses is harbour pilings. It will tend to darken with age and develop a lovely mellow hue.
Funny - I'm just looking at Iroko on another browser - seems perfect, though I guess it would be more expensive than Oak...and is it japanese by any chance?
No. It's from West Africa (Cameroons and Ivory Coast) and is sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is coarser grained than Burmese Teak. And it is a very hard timber indeed, so if you want to put in pan bars or drainer grooves, etc you will need a router (that or a joiner ;) ).

Scrit

Is iroko as hard on tools as teak is? I believe teak contains silica, which blunts tools very quickly.

Not quite, but it is extremely hard so It needs TCT cutters and any hand tools need to be sharpened and honed to the proper angles to deal with hardwood. It is best worked with powered tools/machines as far as possible.

Scrit

Had a few problems with DIY-kitchens myself in the past - admittedly not with worktops but it put me off buying anything from them ever again. Second Nature tops are alright quality though.
I source the majority of my wooden worktops from www.barncrest.co.uk these days. Prices are pretty much the same as elsewhere but the quality of their woods is excellent. I've even used their cutting service a few times for complicated designs or when I have been stacked with too much work. Definitely think they're worth a recommendation.

I haven t used Iroko for years but seem to remember the dust being a bit harsh on the throat so if it is be careful when and if you machine it. :(

Thought i would mention i have had a mare with diykitchens.com

They are not interested in helping if something goes wrong with the order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back